alkhaleejsolar Registered Users Posts: 11
hi,which battery is best for solar,,

what u recommended for solar,,,,acid,,or dry,plz inform

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: best battery for solar?

A true deep cycle battery, after that it depends on your needs and battery qualities(specifications).

In the United States, we often start with what we call Golf Cart batteries, they are 6V true deepcycle and often used for Golf carts, so they are mass produced which keeps the price down, For purely price they are likely the cheapest for small systems so often are suggested for first times use. They will last 3-5 years and some have managed 7-9 years.

Likely the cheapest for larger systems is a forklift/traction battery, they may require a bit more mainanance and are big and heavy (mine is 1100 lbs- 500Kg) and often requires a forklift to move into place. The advantage is these larger cells can often last 15-20 years and some have claimed 30years or more.

Dry AGM or Gel batteries require less maintanance, but are typicaly more expensive(2x or more) per Amp stored. They can be sensitive to over charging and heat.

There is more information in the Battery FAQ's.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • H2SO4_guy
    H2SO4_guy Solar Expert Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
    Options

How critical are the loads you are running? What is the goal, offgrid? Backup power? If you're willing to gamble a bit and don't have super-critical loads, you can get used batteries for a fraction of the cost of new ones, and if it is your first pack, they will probably be abused anyway. It doesn't seem to be a bad idea to learn on a less expensive set of batteries. I use 5,000 pounds of used batteries on multiple systems and it does give backup capability in case something fails there is another setup to use. I just lost a charge controller which took out an inverter, but I just put the loads on a different one in the same room and am back up and running just fine.

Skip
    12K asst panels charging through Midnite Classic 150's, powering Exeltechs and Outback VFX-3648 inverter at 12 and 48 volts.  2080 AH @ 48 VDC of Panasonic Stationary batteries (2 strings of 1040 AH each) purchased for slightly over scrap, installed August 2013.  Outback PSX-240X for 220 volt duties.  No genny usage since 2014. 
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

First, what will be your loads? when and for how long will these loads be used? What part of the world do you live? That will let us determine the voltage and AH of the required battery pack, which then dictates solar panel capacity and inverter type and size.
  • ericks
    ericks Registered Users Posts: 10
    Options

Thank you for this info.