Low cost, high efficiency solar technology developed

RSSfeed
RSSfeed Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭
Researchers have developed a new solar technology that could make solar energy more affordable, and thus speed-up its market adoption.9Jiw7xvNvVc

More...

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Low cost, high efficiency solar technology developed

Have any of these reporters ever read an Associated Press(AP) style book?

You spell out an acronym before you use it, I can't spell my own name but when you hunt through the article and it never says Reasearch Triangle Institute... and I'm only guessing. Maybe they go Rochester institute of Technology(lots of fine engineers there) spelled wrong, but the 'International' at least gave a clue...

And I was a Photojournalist, I hardly associated with the 'word' people...
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like in this case, the "RTI" is actually part of the company's official name.
    http://www.rti.org/page.cfm/About_RTI
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like in this case, the "RTI" is actually part of the company's official name.
    http://www.rti.org/page.cfm/About_RTI

Sounds a lot like the process by which the Stanford Research Institute became (somewhere in the 70's) SRI International instead. And International Business Machines became plain old IBM, Inc.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess is they may use the acronym, but are doing business as... It's a pain to change a name once established. and where I was aware of Research Triangle Institute (I was once a photographer for the Raleigh News and Disturber and Raleigh Crimes) I really did think it was RIT just incorrect, AP did change and allow for known acronyms back in the late '70's early '80's, but I doubt RTI is widely recognized.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Photowhit wrote: »
    My guess is they may use the acronym, but are doing business as... It's a pain to change a name once established. and where I was aware of Research Triangle Institute (I was once a photographer for the Raleigh News and Disturber and Raleigh Crimes) I really did think it was RIT just incorrect, AP did change and allow for known acronyms back in the late '70's early '80's, but I doubt RTI is widely recognized.

In this case, I think you are right. From the bottom of the web page: "©2012 RTI International. RTI International is a trade name of Research Triangle Institute."

So RTI International is a trade name, but in that specific context the RTI is not an acronym.

By contrast: From [url]www.sri.com:[/url] "©2012 SRI International ... SRI International is an independent, nonprofit research institute"

and from their corporate history: "Since our founding in 1946 by Stanford University, SRI has been committed to discovery and to the application of science and technology for knowledge, commerce, prosperity, and peace. SRI became independent of the university in 1970, and we changed our name to SRI International in 1977."

And yet people still sometimes refer to it as Stanford Research Institute.

-Inetdog
    "Plays well with words"
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.