Question on Morningstar Charge Controller

Options
RedNeckSolarMan
RedNeckSolarMan Solar Expert Posts: 34
Hello, couple days ago I purchased Morningstar PS-30 charge controller for my solar system. Pretty much this solar system is for lighting on my balcony porch. After reading instructions and notice Morningstar does not recommend using battery inverter. And personally, be cool but how can I hook up my lights to Morningstar PS-30 charge controller without using battery inverter. There is load section to plug/wire in to power equipment in this case lights. (I tried getting hold of Morningstar and yet to get hold of them).

Any thoughts or ideas on this and thank you.

Rednecksolarman

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Question on Morningstar Charge Controller

Welcome to the forum.

I think you're misinterpreting Morningstar's warning. They do not want you to connect an inverter to the charge controller's LOAD terminals because they can only handle 30 Amps and could easily be overloaded by an inverter.

Connecting DC loads up to 30 Amps to these terminals is all right. If your lights can run off DC system Voltage this will work fine.
    Connecting an inverter to a battery charged off the BATT terminals is all right. If your lights require 120 VAC you will need to do this.
  • RedNeckSolarMan
    Options

Ok, now it makes sense, I read the warning sentence again and I got it.:D

I know this charge controller can charge two batteries, my goal is to have 24v of power for lights not 12v. My other question is for battery inverter, if I plan to use two batteries, I read online so many websites and depends what site is different info, but anyway. Do I hook up one negative to one battery and positive to other battery to get full 24v or do I need to hook up both batteries to inverter. Thank you for replying back, I am new in this field and I have learned alot and having fun. :D
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

The way you get 24 Volts with two batteries is to have two 12 Volt batteries and connect them in series:

(-) 12 Volt Battery (+) --- (-) 12 Volt Battery (+)

The (-) on the 'first' battery and the (+) on the 'second' battery will produce 24 Volts.

Just be sure you have 24 Volt lights: 12 Volt ones will burn very brightly and very briefly on 24 Volts.
  • RedNeckSolarMan
    Options

Cool, thank you for info, sometime to work on Sunday. :D

thanks again.