Need help, charge controler,

David z
David z Registered Users Posts: 6
Hi Guys,
*I'm new to forum with stupid questions,I've already got a two PV solar panels 2 x240W 24V(8.65A *37.2V) and planning to buy a wind turbine in future 48V I think max 1 Kw, so my question is what type of mppt charge controler you suggest for both?what about Tristar MPPTdo I need two, one for Solar one for wind dump load or only one??? or Blue sky duo, is it better option?or anything else? Im planing to charge batteries and run small remote cottage (lights,TV,water pump, etc. at 12 Volts )problem is at the moment I have only PV panels to start with so I want Charge controler with wind turbine in mind, battery only for PVp at the moment and expand later*
Thanx for any answer*
*Dave

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Need help, charge controler,

welcome dave,
    we often don't recommend wind turbines here as they aren't as cost effective or as reliable as pvs are. i think expanding on your solar may be best, but i'm not sure of what sunshine you get there.

later, after you establish a good solar system for most of your needs, you could delve into the wind aspect if you still wish to. most wind turbines come with a controller, but if you want one from elsewhere the midnite classic is doing very well on wind turbines. this controller, of course, will also do very well for pv too. here are the models they come in and you will see lots of other info you can click on to see what it's about. go to products and hit charge controllers.
    http://www.midnightsolar.com/
  • David z

Thanks Niel, for the reply
    I was thinking about solars only first, but wind can spin over night so I was thinking it may be a good idea have both. I know it depends, on wind in my location and Im not pretty sure if its gona be enought wind there.But now, thanx to you, probably going back to solars.
    *I have quite a lot of morning sun and trough the day till 3 o'clock it may be ok so at least 5-6 hours. The cottage is turned to east and south *its in woodlands so it could be a litlle lack of sun because of hight trees, but not bad at all.*
    Sooooo, some ideas about CC *and other stuff what else its good to have in solar system, I know you dont have enougt information about my system (48 V to CC and baterry bank voltage ??but *want 12 V output) some essential components ( fuses , battery monitors, circuit breakers etc. where to connect them or exist some device what has all the necessary things in one? or send me some links *because Im serching for valuable informations and I dont really understand electricity dont like it so im bit confused its too much stuff out there ;0)*
    Thanks for patience, and sorry for having stupid questions ;)
    Dave
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wind needs it's own Charge Controller, with Dump/Diversion Load, and brake controller. Midnight Solar is coming out with a neat line of MPPT for wind.

Solar will need it's own MPPT controller, and solar does NOT need a dump load.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    David z wrote: »
    I dont really understand electricity dont like it

See, there's your first problem. I encourage you to read up on the basics of electricity. Memorize Ohm's law. Get familiar with the fundamentals until you're comfortable (and respectful) of it. Otherwise you are a sheep waiting to be shorn by the wolves.
    so im bit confused its too much stuff out there ;0)*
    Thanks for patience, and sorry for having stupid questions ;)
    Dave

Exactly. LOTS of stuff out there, and even among trusted sources it is seemingly contradictory at times. This is because there so often is more than one way to achieve the same end. This thread: http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?t=5556 is full of start-out stuff, links, and info. Possibly too much to take in all at once.

There are no stupid questions.
    Occasionally there are stupid answers because even the best of us get confused at times. :p
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

being unfamiliar with electricity or the solar industry can be a problem for some diyers as the inexperience and lack of general knowledge could hinder a proper and safe installation from being achieved.

in any case gaining some insight and knowledge here can be very helpful to you and a bit of a necessity so you know how to run, maintain, and troubleshoot the system you wind up with.

do consider getting advice from a local installer as well if you can. on that note, i realize where you are geographically, but the general forum is not privy to that info unless allowed by the poster as it was a privacy issue that was brought up a few years back.
  • David z

I mean, I have a general knowledge how stuff works and allready spend some time searching internet, but I need to know what I should buy what equipments do I need Im planing to call a proper electrician to set it up for me so no DIY. But still can save money to buy a quality equipment, I dont mind spend more money on CC if it contain almoust everything what I need(bells and whistles) so no need to buy pricey afterparts if the proper one have them all. And thats the forum is for, sharing info, advice, experience so dont need to learn the hard way on my own mistakes, if there are people out there with knowledge.
    Thanx anyway, or any answers
    Dave
  • mike95490

I suspect this may end badly. You buy brands A, B, and C. When you hire someone, they have only worked with brand X, Y, and Z. They wire up as you insist, but it does not work. They say it's all bad, you are out $$$.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Time to go right back to the beginning: what do you want the solar/wind power for?

If you want the system to work, it's very important to know what its purpose will be.
  • David z

Soo, what I should do now??? Forget about solars? Im gona call someone who isnt directed to certain brand of manufacturer someone who know what he is doing not what brands he is using.
    But I was asking a completely different question and we talking about completely different things.
    I know guys you want to help me, thanks for that, but Im just asking about charge controler which one you recommend, some all-at one or something, you know what I mean, thats it.
    You allready help me decide for solars and forget about wind turbine, so Im glad for any input.
    Thanx
    Dave
  • David z

Right back to beginning.
    I want solars PV panels only!!! to run a TV,few LED lights, water pump, not everything at the same time, maybe a fridge but i think it may be to much at the moment.
    I allready have a 2 x 240 W 24V (8.65A. 37.2V ) PV panels and may go for another 2 maybe even 4 later.
    But Panels are still boxed, brand new.
    That why Im asking for advice before its too late, I dont want to buy somthing what dont need or is useless.
    Dave
  • mike95490
    David z wrote: »
    Right back to beginning.
    I want solars PV panels only!!! to run a TV,few LED lights, water pump, not everything at the same time, maybe a fridge but i think it may be to much at the moment. ...

Let's work on the water pump. What size is it? Volts/amps/Hp ? How often does it run? Can you run it 1x a week, from a generator.

Water pumps are very demanding of the electrical system.

• David z

Actually, im runing water pump from generator now, but what you think about using inverter to run 220v pump ( around 200-300W twice a week for let say half an hour -1hour)
    And generally what you think about inverters in small systems less then 1000w of arrays are they worthy or Im loosing too much power converting 12 or 24 V to 220V
    I could live without the pump, what about fridge through inventer is it consume too much or 12V is better option.
    I need about 1000Wh +- for all my devices
  • mike95490

Before you do anything else, write up a power budget.
    Pump: (220Vx 1.4A =) 300W x 1 hr = 300Wh
    Lights 60+60+13+13 x 4 hrs = 584Wh
    Fridge ( good energy star model) = 1,000Wh

But somehow, I don't buy the 22V pump is only 300w.

• bmet
    bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭

Running amps, not surge