Issue with Morningstar 300 Suresine Inverter

With54
With54 Registered Users Posts: 21
Connected up the 300 Morningstar Suresine Inverter at the cottage this weekend only to discover that it nearly fried my satellite receiver on the first try. On the second and third try with just a light bulb connected the bulb died after 5 or so minutes. Anyone experience a similar problem? Suggestions.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Issue with Morningstar 300 Suresine Inverter

Measure the output Voltage with nothing connected. Check the model number carefully. They make a 240 Volt version as well as a 120; you may have got the wrong one by mistake.
  • With54
    With54 Registered Users Posts: 21

You're right. It's 240 volts. Can this unit be adjusted to work in my application?
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

As far as I know the AC output Voltage is not selectable. Technically one of the models is rated as 115 VAC @ 60 Hz and the other is the "European" version rated as 230 VAC @ 50 Hz.
    One other possibility; be sure one of the AC out terminals is Earth grounded. It does not matter which one.

I think you're in for contacting the retailer/manufacturer on this one.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

I have two, and other than the different frequency, the main difference is the internal output transformer. One is wound for 60 hz, 115 volts, while the other is wound for 50 hz, 220 volts. The solution, as suggested by Cariboocoot, would be to return the inverter and have it exchanged for the one you need. Re grounding one of the output terminals, doing so covers code, but does not change output voltage.