Guidance in setting up my system

Options
tonygcan
tonygcan Solar Expert Posts: 91 ✭✭✭✭
Hi. You guys have been a big help in helping me decide my equipment. I must come with my begging bowl in hand to ask for your guidance in helping me properly set-up my equipment.

I will list down my equipment and the installation sequence I understand they should be installed. Please feel free to correct or insert other items I may have overlooked.

4 strings of 3 Kyocera 185 watt panels VOC 29.5 volts

connected by MC4 cables to (I'm a little unsure whether the MC4 cables connect the 3 PVs together and then the MC4 50' extender cables go on to connect to the combiner)

Midnite Solar MNPV 6 Array combiner with 4 PV array breaker 15 amps

I also have 12 pcs of solar grounding plugs direct burial. I imagine this lugs go to the solar panels and I connect a copper wire to each one of the lugs and they can all connect together and go down to a ground.

I also have a Delta lightning arrestor included. Does this connect to the grounding plugs?

Wires from combiner box go to the Xantrex 60 amp MPPT Charge Controller.

Midnite Solar EDC Quad box to hold 2 Midnite Solar 50 amp, 150 VDC breakers - 1 breaker before the CC and 1 breaker after the CC

Xantrex Battery Temperature Sensor cable attaches to the battery bank then to the CC for monitoring purposes.

Power cables from the CC connect to theBattery Bank then tothe Xantrex XW4548 inverter

I also have fuse holders for 110 / 200 amp bolt type for lugs. Does this go from the batteries to the Inverter?

Trimetric 2025 battery system monitor
Trimetric TM48A Adaptor for 48 volts
500 amp/50mv shunt for trimetric

This is so far my understanding of the setup.

Do I need to install a DC BREAKER in between the batteries and the Inverter?

Thank you for the assist.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Guidance in setting up my system

It looks like you have breakers on each PV string, which is good. The breaker on the input of the charge controller for disconnect? Not sure of the wire size change or distances involved but it almost sounds like redundant circuit protection here. Maybe someone else has a clearer understanding.

You definitely need some CP between the batteries and inverter. This is where the big lug fuse holder goes. (See below also.)
    Power cables from the CC connect to theBattery Bank then tothe Xantrex XW4548 inverter

I don't like the way that's expressed. Wires go from the CC through a fuse or breaker to the batteries. Different wires (it's another circuit) go from the batteries through a fuse or breaker to the inverter.

The shunt for the battery monitor goes on the (-) side, between the batteries and both CC and inverter so that it can monitor all current going in or out of the batteries.

I have to admit I don't understand your grounding question as expressed. Panel frames are usually all wired to a common 6 AWG wire which goes to the ground rod. This is a safety issue not a function one. Lightning arrestor is wired as per instructions; it provides an "emergency" path to ground for any high Voltage that might hit the plus or minus wires.

I hope this has clarified at least something.
  • tonygcan
    tonygcan Solar Expert Posts: 91 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes that's right.

CC cables go to batteries with a fuse in between.

Another set of cables run from the batteries to the Inverter with a fuse in between.

Thanks for the clarification.

Regarding the shunt - the CC and the inverter wires go to the same negative - pole on the batteries. Does this mean the shunt connects to the same - pole?

Re the solar grounding lugs, I think they install one each per solar panel then as per your instruction I connect all the grounding lugs together by running a 6AWG wire through them and wire straight doen to a grounding rod. Is that correct?
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    tonygcan wrote: »
    Regarding the shunt - the CC and the inverter wires go to the same negative - pole on the batteries. Does this mean the shunt connects to the same - pole?

In a manner of speaking. It goes between the negative battery terminal and everything that connects to it: inverter and charge controller. So that any current going in to or out of the battery has to pass through the shunt and be counted.
    Re the solar grounding lugs, I think they install one each per solar panel then as per your instruction I connect all the grounding lugs together by running a 6AWG wire through them and wire straight down to a grounding rod. Is that correct?

Sounds right to me. Thread the wire through the lugs if you can; keep it continuous.