1 Battery down

oglethorp
oglethorp Solar Expert Posts: 30 ✭✭
I have a 48v string with one bettery out (dead cell). Small off grid system.
String is 7years old each 235ah. If I add a new battery with same ah will they bring it down with a short life for all? I havent been able to find a used one with the same ah rating. I also have a battery switch whice allows me to switch between a new string and this old one ( 1 or 2 or both) just tring to get the most life out of the old string

Comments

• Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Re: 1 Battery down

You can swap out the battery with another golf cart battery, doesn't really matter the age as your going to be playing wack-a-mole. 7 years is end of life for these class of battery's, you may get another 2-3 years, but changing one battery will likely just have another old one fail soon, so pay now or pay more later.
  • oglethorp
    oglethorp Solar Expert Posts: 30 ✭✭

If I change to a 200ah new golf cart batt (cheap way out for now),, how will that influence to string?
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭

It will allow the other batteries to function, don't worry about the ah difference, the old 235ah batteries are more like half that after 7 years, at best
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

i think solar guppy is banking on some of the battery capacity being lost in the old string making a 200-220ah battery a possible replacement. as he said, it is only a matter of time and the rest will start going bad one at a time. you could continue the replace a battery as you go routine until all of them are replaced, but the newer batteries may not behave like newer batteries. if you could find another application for the older batteries or sell them off to someone who may have need of a 12v or 24v starter setup you could apply that little bit of cash towards the costs of the new battery bank.