"Conforms" to UL 1703

Options
jagec
jagec Solar Expert Posts: 157 ✭✭
I believe that I may have a problem.

I bought 22 Canadian Solar CS6P-225P panels, which arrived today. I was told that these were "blemished", but carried the full manufacturer's warranty. I was able to see fairly minor imperfections in the panels if I looked closely, but nothing that made me too worried. I had read several endorsements of the "B"-grade Evergreen panels on this forum, and so I thought that these would be similar.

I was also told multiple times, both on the phone and by e-mail (and on the website) that these were "UL listed", suitable for grid-tied systems. The data sheet for the panels says that they carry the UL 1703 certification.

However, I don't see the UL logo on the back. There is a CE logo, an IEC logo, and a square-within-a-square logo that I don't recognize, and some text that reads "Conforms to UL 1703 and ULC/ORD-C1703-01"

Does that mean the same thing as an actual UL listing, or is this just the manufacturer self-reporting their conformance?

Will I be unable to use these panels for a roof-mount system, or is that entirely up to my local AHJ?

I would love to hear that I am worrying about nothing, but the lack of a logo really bothers me, and I'm worried that it might bother an inspector as well.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: "Conforms" to UL 1703

They may be ok. Ul and csa are only two of many NRTL's (nationally recognized testing laboratories).

You should be able to ask your local inspectors if they are ok. Also try and find the data sheet/pdf and see of they have the lab name symbol listed.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Options

You should be fine ... CE and UL are interchangeable for listing purposes

http://www.ul.com/global/eng/pages/offerings/industries/energy/renewable/photovoltaics/

1703 is the spec for panels to be listed to. You should be able to goto

http://www.cedirectory.com/signup/index.php?a=Step2&Acctype=B&Submit.x=17&Submit.y=4&Submit=Continue

Looks like you have to register to verify if the panels are on the actual CE list
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

It may have changed, but CE marks were a declaration by the mfg. that the "thing" conformed to EU safety standards. There is no NRTL (in general) connection with CE:

OSHA (US Gov Safety)
    Does OSHA accept the "CE" mark or accept equipment certified by foreign testing organizations?

The CE mark is unrelated to the requirements for product safety in the US. It is a generic mark used in the European Union (EU) to indicate that a manufacturer has declared that the product meets requirements in the EU for product safety. In the US, under OSHA's NRTL requirements, the product must have the specific mark of one of the NRTLs recognized to test and certify these types of products.
    The following organizations have been recognized by OSHA in accordance with 29 CFR 1910.7 to test and certify equipment or materials (products) requiring approval by certain OSHA safety standards:

Canadian Standards Association (CSA)
    (also known as CSA International)
    416-747-4000
    178 Rexdale Boulevard
    Etobicoke (Toronto), Ontario M9W 1R3
    Canada

Communication Certification Laboratory, Inc. (CCL)
    801-972-6146
    1940 West Alexander Street
    Salt Lake City, Utah 84119

Curtis-Straus LLC (CSL)
    978-486-8880
    Littleton Distribution Center
    One Distribution Center Circle, Suite #1
    Littleton, MA 01460
    Email: certification@curtis-straus.com

FM Approvals LLC (FM)
    (formerly Factory Mutual Research Corporation)
    781-762-4300
    1151 Boston-Providence Turnpike
    P.O. Box 9102
    Norwood, Massachusetts 02062

Intertek Testing Services NA, Inc. (ITSNA)
    (formerly ETL, Inchcape)
    800-345-3851
    3933 U.S. Route 11
    Cortland, New York 13045

MET Laboratories, Inc. (MET)
    800-638-6057
    914 West Patapsco Avenue
    Baltimore, Maryland 21230

National Technical Systems, Inc. (NTS)
    978-263-2933
    1146 Massachusetts Avenue
    Boxborough, Massachusetts 01719
    Email: dan.cannon@ntscorp.com

NSF International (NSF)
    800-673-6275
    789 Dixboro Road
    Ann Arbor, Michigan 48105
    Email: phillips@nsf.org

SGS U. S. Testing Company, Inc. (SGSUS)
    (formerly U.S. Testing/California Division)
    973-575-5252
    291 Fairfield Avenue
    Fairfield, New Jersey 07004
    Email: russell.nicols@sgs.com

Southwest Research Institute (SWRI)
    210-684-5111
    6220 Culebra Road
    Post Office Drawer 28510
    San Antonio, Texas 78228

TÜV SÜD America, Inc. (TUVAM)
    978-739-7000
    5 Cherry Hill Drive
    Danvers, Massachusetts 01923
    Email: info@tuvam.com

TÜV SÜD Product Services GmbH (TUVPSG)
    49-89-5008-4335
    Ridlerstrasse 65, D-80339
    Munich, Germany

TUV Rheinland of North America, Inc. (TUV)
    203-426-0888
    12 Commerce Road
    Newtown, Connecticut 06470

Underwriters Laboratories Inc. (UL)
    847-272-8800
    333 Pfingsten Road
    Northbrook, Illinois 60062

Wyle Laboratories, Inc. (WL)
    256-837-4411
    7800 Highway 20 West
    P.O. Box 077777
    Huntsville, Alabama 35807
    Email: service@hnt.wylelabs.com

The above list should be pretty similar to what NEC/Building Codes require for NRTL listing.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • johnl
    johnl Solar Expert Posts: 30
    Options

You're OK. These panels are tested to meet the UL standard by Intertek/ETL, which is an NRTL on that list from OSHA.

Fun trivia fact: ETL is actually the decendant of "Edison Testing Labs".

You can download the ETL/UL certification document you'll need for your inspector here: http://www.canadiansolar.com/front_content.php?idart=27

Alternatively, you can search for "Canadian Solar" on the Intertek/ETL directory here:
    http://etlwhidirectory.etlsemko.com/WebClients/ITS/DLP/products.nsf/$$Search?OpenForm
  • jagec
    jagec Solar Expert Posts: 157 ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the reassurances, guys, and the info to run by the inspector.

Unfortunately you won't get an update for a few weeks...the panels have to stay in my basement until a certain work deadline is behind me.