generator wiring to a sw4048

kd7irm
kd7irm Solar Expert Posts: 39 ✭✭
guys, thanks in advice for your help with yet another dumb question.

i need to wire a generator up to my trace sw4048 inverter/charger for auto starting. i have two choices,

1- i have a 15kw diesel manual electric start(i have to push the start button while holding in a low oil safety switch)

2- i have a Ridgid 8kw gas electric start (doesn't require anything but turning the key).

which one would be easier to wire to that inverter? and has anyone wired a Ridgid 8kw gen set to an inverter/charger.

the sw4048 has built in start relays,
- one (R 7 ) says its for the ignition system with normally open and normally closed contacts and terminals, common/normclose/normopen.

- two (r 8 ) for gen sets that do not have automatic cranking controls, with terminals for common and normally open.

the problem i have is that i do not know which relay i need for what genset and the trace manual just has very basic info, no instructions on wiring, and can not find any info on how to wire to the gensets.
Outback MX60 charge controller, Outback VFX3524 inverter, Deka 95-25 1140 Ahr (8hr rate) 24v batteries, Champion 3.8kw generator, and about 2000 panel watts. (Honda EU6500is inverter generator in for repair) 

Comments

• RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: generator wiring to a sw4048

"holding in a low oil safety switch'

Never heard that one. I guess it maybe the low oil cutout switch on injectors shuts off injectors until the engine is running and pushing oil through it so you have to defeat it to allow engine to start.

Does the diesel have a glow plug?

Sound like gas might be easier. Is it gasoline or propane/nature gas? If gasoline you might have a carborator choke to deal with at least when started cold.

Anyway, RY7 is ignition control, contact when ignition system active. RY8 is for momentary starter motor activation.

Both relays have 5 amp max contacts so if starter solenoid coil requires more then 5 amps you need to run an extra relay where RY8 runs the extra relay coil.
  • kd7irm
    kd7irm Solar Expert Posts: 39 ✭✭
    Re: generator wiring to a sw4048

ok, i have it hooked up and running from the number 2 inverter in the stack with a relay for the start as well as the run and a 5 amp fuse in there for an added safety precaution, i hooked up the diesel and it is in a room that stays a pretty constant temp when the genset is not running so cold starting is not really a big ussue. thank you very much for your help. what should the "bulk done amps" be set to?
    Outback MX60 charge controller, Outback VFX3524 inverter, Deka 95-25 1140 Ahr (8hr rate) 24v batteries, Champion 3.8kw generator, and about 2000 panel watts. (Honda EU6500is inverter generator in for repair)