Has anyone cleaned a SW 4024

solorone
solorone Solar Expert Posts: 257 ✭✭✭
Lets face it, dust is unavoidable, even more so for those of us that have no air conditioning.

My current trace has some dust build up, 11 years worth.

I take my laptop apart and clean it regularly, as heat buildup is an enemy of electronics.

I was wondering if it would hurt to blow some air in the exhaust side of the trace.

Would it be better to just bite the bullet, and take it apart for a thorough cleaning. If so are there any special precautions I should take, once the cabinet is removed?

I guess most members here have no idea how lucky they are to have access to this wonderful information resource. This is a long way from the library I started my research in. Then, my main resource, was Jim Cullen's "how to be your own power company".

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Has anyone cleaned a SW 4024

Well don't ask me: I have an Outback which will operate even in a Saudi sandstorm. :p

But it is a valid issue as dust build-up inside any electronics can reduce heat dissipation and shorten component life.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Vacuum only! Vacuum only! Vacuum only! Vacuum only!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭

Sometime around 2005 there was a fiberglass window screen added to inside of slots. This at least keeps the bugs out.

Air flows from left to right. The MOSFET's heatsink is on the right side just prior to exit air slots beneath the DC input lugs.

If you have not worked on inside of unit I would not recommend taking cover off. Things are pretty cramped around MOSFET heatsink side. If you are having an overheating problem then go for it.

Just use a powerful shop vac on both sides every few months.
  • solorone
    solorone Solar Expert Posts: 257 ✭✭✭

Thanks all, I sort of figured that 80* compressed air might not be the best thing to do.:roll:

I will shop vacuum first, but intend to insert a small filter, so I can judge how well it is working. If that does not show good results we will take the cover of.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

We just had a "manager" get a wild hair at work and decided to do "maintenance on a vibration system we use to simulate a rocket engine. He took the covers off the controller and compressed air was at least 80psi. He puts the system back together and alarms start going off. There is a funny smell...

When I got in later he was freaked! We took it apart and found several 14 pin dip IC's had pins missing. At first I thought someone had cut them or that they were unused circuits. But, NO ! He had blown the pins off ! Good you asked! I wish he had...
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭
    We just had a "manager" get a wild hair at work and decided to do "maintenance on a vibration system we use to simulate a rocket engine. He took the covers off the controller and compressed air was at least 80psi. He puts the system back together and alarms start going off. There is a funny smell...

When I got in later he was freaked! We took it apart and found several 14 pin dip IC's had pins missing. At first I thought someone had cut them or that they were unused circuits. But, NO ! He had blown the pins off ! Good you asked! I wish he had...

D'oh!

Another thing is that high speed air can generate quite a bit of static electricity. Also, unless filtered it often (usually) has a bit of water and/or oil in it.

I used to use compressed air to blow out computers, but I used a grounding strap and I blew it through a little airbrush paint gun and I had a filter and pressure regulator between the air line and the tool.

Kinda like this:

http://www.airbrush-airbrushcompressor.com/airbrushgun/airbrushgun-57896.htm

With something like this on the compressor (I always use a regulator/filter doohickey on my air compressors):

http://www.amazon.com/Airbrush-Compressor-REGULATOR-Moisture-Filter/dp/B001BXJXI0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1280342980&sr=8-1-catcorr
  • arkieoscar
    arkieoscar Solar Expert Posts: 101 ✭✭

I had to clean mud dauber nests out of a pair of 4024's several years ago. I used CRC electronic cleaner, fine bristle brushes and plastic trays taped inside to channel the dirt out. It took a couple of hours to get the boards clean but the units worked fine until they were fried by lightning last year. I glued pieces of fiberglass screen to keep it from happening again. Didn't keep out the lightning though.