Hydraulic Powered Wind Turbines

GreenPowerManiac
GreenPowerManiac Solar Expert Posts: 453 ✭✭✭
I thought this was pretty neat:

http://www.automation.com/content/hydraulic-pitch-drives-for-wind-energy-turbines

However, not really new as far as concept and testing since 1980, an interesting article none the less.

Neat how the hydraulics stop a turbine in gale force winds and for maintenance. Any comments ?
Nature's Design & Green Energy on FaceBook : Stop by and "Like" us anytime.. Many up-to-date articles about Renewables every day.
WWW.GreenAnything.Net    Ad free website.
Lots of DIY Renewable Energy Projects on ETSY : Solar Panel builds, Wind Turbine builds, Rain Barrel build,etc.  

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs Solar Expert Posts: 72 ✭✭
    Re: Hydraulic Powered Wind Turbines

Might be ok for large turbines but for small wind, I'm sure you'll never see it. It would be much more complex and subject to failure. Ask anyone who's worked on hydraulics. It's great when everything is brand new but after a couple of years they're a maintenance headache. Personally, I'll take the old Jacobs style flyball or blade actuated governor any day. Simplicity with dependability is beautiful.
  • GreenPowerManiac
    GreenPowerManiac Solar Expert Posts: 453 ✭✭✭
    Re: Hydraulic Powered Wind Turbines

True, however, hydraulics where always intended to do heavy duty tasks easily and for a long time. The regulation part in gale force winds is just the technology part to make someone happy. Safety first.
    Nature's Design & Green Energy on FaceBook : Stop by and "Like" us anytime.. Many up-to-date articles about Renewables every day.
    WWW.GreenAnything.Net    Ad free website.
    Lots of DIY Renewable Energy Projects on ETSY : Solar Panel builds, Wind Turbine builds, Rain Barrel build,etc.