Another Great Idea From Germany

Horus
Horus Registered Users Posts: 24
this idea has to be at the top of the list for most sustainable creative uses of modern technology. The Germans, who always seem to be ahead of the game when it comes to energy conservation and renewable energy, have been investing heavily in eco-sustainability for many years. Their latest discovery comes in the form of public lighting. They have created and made it possible for a system of sparsely populated urban ares to activate public lighting systems from your mobile phone.

http://enviralment.wordpress.com/2010/03/17/dial4light-street-lights-activated-by-your-mobile-phone/

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Another Great Idea From Germany

If they were really clever they'd set the lights up to automatically detect the presence of the cell phone and come on without all that rigamarole, then turn off when out of range. Like motion detector lighting. What if you haven't got a cell phone? Walk in the dark and curse it! :p
  • john p
    john p Solar Expert Posts: 814 ✭✭✭

As some old guy says. havnt they ever heard of cheap simple motion detectors??Cost less than $10 . The ones that come on for say 10 mins when you come in range??
  • russ
    russ Solar Expert Posts: 593 ✭✭

Switching public lighting on & off - depending on the type it may not be a good idea.

Actually the concept sounds more green than intelligent - they are very often mutually exclusive.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

i would rather have the street light near me either always on or always off as going back and forth would be annoying and could cause people to either not get to sleep or possibly awaken people.
    leaving it on could also deter crime to a point.
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    niel wrote: »
    i would rather have the street light near me either always on or always off as going back and forth would be annoying and could cause people to either not get to sleep or possibly awaken people.
    leaving it on could also deter crime to a point.

I have to agree on the crime deterrent, I was having all kinds of problems with gasoline siphoning here until I started to run 2 100watt equivalent CFLs on the front of the garage with a timer wall switch. (plus added locking gas cap to the most vulnerable vehicle). We do have street lighting but it is pretty sparse.
  • john p

If motion detectors are used to turn the lights on would not that be ok as a crime deterrent?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Over the years, our home-owners insurance actually preferred motion detector controlled lights... The light turning on makes the intruder wonder if somebody saw him to turn on the lights, and the lights going on highlight the intruder to anyone looking outside (same discount as having an alarm system)...

In my neighborhood, everyone pretty much went inside when the sun set (we lived in a wooded area--so star and moon light was not that much). When they finally put in the first street lamp at a major junction--that immediately became the teenager hangout (this was 45 years ago)...

Your mileage may vary.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

I used to have a big yard light on at night. Stuff got stolen. Switched to motion lights. Nothing has been stolen since. This could be a coincidence, but there does seem to be evidence for the notion that constant light allows thieves to survey the area and plan their heist with impunity where as lights going on and off leave them wondering.

And it saves energy too! :D
  • john p

So mabe the German idea of having a complicated system and needing a cell phone is bettered in many ways by having simple and cheap motion detectors.:cool:
    But having said that we have the house and back yard under constant night time lights. we use 1w MR16 LED lights 10 in total about 2a worth at 12v.
  • russ
    russ Solar Expert Posts: 593 ✭✭

The motion detector lamps for around the yard also have the possibility to attract a neighbor's attention when they go on/off at odd hours.

A thief definitely prefers a steady light where he can work the shadows - makes life easier for him.