Warning!! Another AIM'S Inverter bites the dust ....

rgearhead
rgearhead Solar Expert Posts: 38
Yep, I have 2 Aims Inverters , one modified, 3000 watts and a pure 2000 watt Aim's..... I wish I had never bought Aims now, my 2 units were bought for emergency back up 2 years ago , they have very little use, and i babied them... I built a small battery bank and I have bought several panels for my little project, and with storm season knocking I have been getting things in order, working the battery bank, finishing the mounts for the panels.. and well last week I went to turn on the Aims pure sine wave to let it run and plug a few light loads to exercise it, and when i turned it' on it was making a high pitched squeal =almost like a bearing noise, so i turned it off, let it sit for a few moments and turned it back on and as it powered up I could hear the squeal start back up and then a loud pop' it=POS blew the 250 amp in line fuse , game over .......:cry: and nothing was plugged into it yet.... since i bought these clunkers I have heard n read nothing but bad about them and now here i sit with one turd blown and sure wouldn't want my life dependent on the other one Ugh''

being on a tight budget n storm's can pop up with in hours I picked up a UL Listed Dimensions 1800 watt pure sine inverter, I hooked it up yesterday and load tested it running a garage fan and using a 1200 watt heat gun, and it's silent, so weird to me since the winy Aims units... this tank is silent.....anyone else use a Dimensions Inverter ?? there use on emergency units, like Ambulance n fire vehicles, also boom n bucket trucks ....

this is the one I have now, any one else have any experience with them, thanks ....

http://dimensions.sensata.com/product-inverter/1800w-12vdc-pure-sine-inverter

Comments

• animatt
    animatt Solar Expert Posts: 295 ✭✭✭
    Re: Warning!! Another AIM'S Inverter bites the dust ....

I could be defiantely be wrong but that inverter looks like a cheap chinese unit easily found on ebay. Would think it would be of similiar quality of the aims. I have an aims inverter which i guess is okay. It is a backup to my backup. I definarely would not depend on my aims but would not depend on that inverter either. Not like a high quality name brand unit.
  • rgearhead
    rgearhead Solar Expert Posts: 38

Huh... much the same as Aims'' will have to look further into that..... mine claims to have been built in St Paul Minnesota ....
  • animatt
    animatt Solar Expert Posts: 295 ✭✭✭

Could be true. Although I do remember seeing units that looked almost exactly the same just different lettering/ badging.

Let us know what you find it will be useful to the group collectively.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

From the brands at the bottom of that link...

googled Airpax as I have seen that brand before. They make circuit breakers etc

Sensata Technologies, Airpax Distributor | DigiKey
    www.digikey.com/suppliers/us/sensata-technologies-airpax.page?lang...
    Airpax Corporation, a leading worldwide manufacturer of circuit protection, sensing, and control components, modules and systems.

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada