200 watt 36 volt panels - TriStar TS60 PWM, or is MPPT needed?

vsheetz
vsheetz Registered Users Posts: 18 ✭✭
12 volt battery bank. 200 watt, 36 volt panels. Will Morningstar TS60 PWM be ok, or must one use MPPT due to the difference in battery and panel voltage?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: 200 watt 36 volt panels - TriStar TS60 PWM, or is MPPT needed?

I would like some more details about the solar panels (Vmp/Imp) and how far the array will be from the charge controller+battery bank, battery bank AH rating, which PWM controller you will be using, etc...

And how "price sensitive" you are...

But, from a first look, you will lose ~50% of the solar array's output energy (~200 watt panel will drive ~100 watts into battery bank).

Will it work--if you have the right PWM controller--Yes. Will it meet your needs??? If you only need a 100 Watt panel to charge the battery bank and run your loads--probably yes.

If you need a 200 watt panel to charge the battery bank and run you loads--Then probably no.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

I agree with BB.
    At first glance, without knowing more, it looks like you'd be thowing away at least half your PV wattage if you don't go with a MPPT controller.
    The PWM controller can only use the current available from your PV panels. Nothing more.
    The MPPT controller will use practically the full wattage available from your PVs by turning the extra voltage into extra charging amps.
  • vsheetz

To clarify, my question is if MPPT is needed to get the full output of the 200 watt 36 volt panels.
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    vsheetz wrote: »
    To clarify, my question is if MPPT is needed to get the full output of the 200 watt 36 volt panels.
    Going with the only information you have provided, there is only one answer, and that's a resounding YES, MPPT is required, otherwise you'll be throwing away over half your wattage!
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Guessing at your configuration the "typical" maximum output to your 12 volt battery bank will be:

PWM: 200 Watts * 1/36 volts Vmp = 5.6 amps to battery

MPPT: 200 watts * 0.77 panel+controller deratings * 1/14.5 volt battery charging = 10.6 amps to battery

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • vsheetz

Huge thanks for the prompt responses!!!