Just for fun. (Warning: May be dial-up unfriendly -- 2.5 MByte JPEG Image)

Sparky
Sparky Registered Users Posts: 23
I hope it's Ok to post this here. This is from a 1941 Sears & Roebuck catalog I have laying around the house. I didn't know they even had these back then.
Talk about made in America...

You can download and zoom in for a better look, if you like.....enjoy;)

I linked it to a web hosting site for your viewing.

http://i29.tinypic.com/258md6a.jpg

Here's a couple more.

http://i28.tinypic.com/efnpcz.jpg

http://tinypic.com/m/50l3i8/1

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Just for fun. (Warning: May be dial-up unfriendly -- 2.5 MByte JPEG Image)

Thank you for that! It made my day. Maybe my year. :D
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Thank you Sparky. Neat Ad!

If anyone has issues with large images in the forum--please let us know.

Thank you,
    -Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Sad to say,, I think I have one of the gasoline generators! I think it is 120 vdc now that I think about it. One of these days,, I'll clean out all the stuff from the old "Power house" and post some pictures! The stuff we have thrown away over the years would astound one.

Neat ad. I found a ad for my 1929 Kohler 300 watt dc auto start once!

Tony

PS I like "not the costly 2 cycle one!" That would be the one that you couldn't get t run in 1940,, much less today!
  • Sparky
    BB. wrote: »
    Thank you Sparky. Neat Ad!

If anyone has issues with large images in the forum--please let us know.

Thank you,
    -Bill

Sorry, didn't think of that. I can resize it and drop the quailty down some in photoshop, if that would help.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

I am OK with leaving it up--That is why I put the warning there in the Title. (Windsun or Niel may have other opinions).

Otherwise, you could host the image elsewhere and just use a link to let people click.

Lets see if anyone complains first (many forums have a pretty hard 800x600 limit to keep from blowing the formatting and download times)--Perhaps we don't here (we don't get a lot of large image threads here).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

That ad rocks! Thanks for posting it. :D
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

i have no problems with it and it's very interesting to read "all of the electricity you want" on the generators with their biggest one at 275w and 12v.:D what insight they had for our needs.:roll: i guess they also sold ear plugs on the next page?:confused:
    the wincharger i already new about and those batteries are the prelude to diehards. i always wondered why they called them diehards as mine always died hard and they still seem to last about 3-5 years.
  • Sparky
    niel wrote: »
    i have no problems with it and it's very interesting to read "all of the electricity you want" on the generators with their biggest one at 275w and 12v.:D what insight they had for our needs.:roll: i guess they also sold ear plugs on the next page?:confused:
    the wincharger i already new about and those batteries are the prelude to diehards. i always wondered why they called them diehards as mine always died hard and they still seem to last about 3-5 years.

It's a amazing catalog to go through. They really sold a lot of different items them days. on one page they have stoves and water heaters......the next page has engines blocks. If you cold see the things they have, you would be amazed. it pretty much was a all in one store.

maybe I'll link some pages later on for yall to view. and yes, die hards do just as they say. when they go, the go right now..
  • TnAndy
    TnAndy Solar Expert Posts: 249 ✭✭

Sears used to sell houses as packages.....pre-cut lumber, the hardware, millwork, everything....."some assembly required"....ahahaaaaa....

I saw a documentary of whole neighborhood in some town in the midwest that were these houses....orginally, they were little 700-800sf houses with no wiring or indoor plumbing, but they gave a lot of families a roof over their heads inexpensively.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Not only that,, but they shipped them parcel post! Some of them are quite coveted today.

Tony.
  • Kamala
    Kamala Solar Expert Posts: 452 ✭✭

I remember in the early to mid '80s, hearing a news story on my car radio on my lunch break, that Sears will no longer distribute nor publish their retail catalog.

I became old.
  • n3qik
    n3qik Solar Expert Posts: 741 ✭✭

I could not wait to November when the toy catalog or was it the Christmas catalog was delivered. Me and my brother would fight over it.