questions on small basic solar setup

I am new to this new free energy. I have done little reading and have setup the following.

I have two sheds in my backyard; one is an older shed that I have all equipment (inside or on the roof). The other shed is new where I have regular indoor house wiring running from the old shed to the new shed. In this new shed I have it wired with switches and light fixtures. I am running 4 110 volt 3 watt LED lights from http://www.superbrightleds.com/MR16_specs.htm .

This is a just something small I wanted off the grid and perhaps in the future I would like to expand. What I am not sure about is when I calculate amperage, do I calculate using 12 volts or 110 volts (I would think it would be the 12 volt). The other thing is when I add a fuse should it be on the positive wire from the 12 volt to the inverter. The max amperage on the inverter is 5 amps so that would make me think the fuse should be a 4 or 5 amp fuse.

Any other input that I may be missing would be appreciated

I have:
1 12 Volt Battery
400 watt inverter
1 15 watt solar panel
2 5 watt solar panels

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: questions on small basic solar setup

interesting set up.. you are on the way...

are you sure that the MR 16 light are not 12 v? The ones I have are, and the web site link shows MR 16 as 12 and 24 v...

Eric

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭

JL,

1) Can you tell us more about your equipment? For example, brand names, model numbers, etc.

2) You'll probably need to add a charge controller between your PV modules and the battery.

More later,
    Jim / crewzer
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Yes Eric it is 120VAC -

Oh sorry, I am also using a charge controller.

I have:
    1 12 Volt Battery = Energizer Deep Cycle, and I believe it is about 120 Amp hour
    1 400 watt inverter = Black and Decker from Walmart
    1 15 watt solar panel = not sure the model, but also from Walmart
    2 5 watt solar panels = Moto master from Canadian Tire
    4 Model E27-W24 Wide Angle & Narrow Angle
    24-LED Medium Base Flood Light - 120 VAC
    Available with 10 or 30 degree beam pattern
    http://www.superbrightleds.com/edison.html
    1 12V, 5A Solar Charge Controller/Regulater = found on ebay (searched solar), more there
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

May I suggest that for lighting, you use 12 volt LED lamps, instead of 120 volt units. Reason being, that inverter, required to run the 120 volt units, will probably suck up as much, or more power from the battery, just to run it, than the LED lights you have, ever will. This is really something to consider, since you have limited PV to recharge your batteries, so every watt counts and a wasted watt is one you have to produce and get nothing in return.
    Save the inverter for things like your electric drill, or CF lamps.
    All the best and good luck.
    Welcome to the world of solar power.
    Wayne