Re: How much power does inverter draw?
Originally Posted by greenthumb76
- 12 volts * 0.5 amps = 6 watt draw
What I don't know is: how much power does the inverter use (in addition to what the lamp draws) when it is making a/c--say, for a 20 watt lamp?
- Power = 6 watts + (20 watt load / 0.85 inverter efficiency) = 29.6 watts total
If I run a 120 watt a/c appliance for an hour, does it drain 1
amp hour from my battery (since it's 120 watt a/c), or does it drain 10
amp hours (since the inverter is using 12 volt power?
- Power = Volts * Amps
- 120 Watts = 120 volts * 1 amp
- 120 watts = 12 volts * 10 amp [fixed typo--thank you greenthumb]
Using the above example:
- Power-inverter-input = 6 watts + (120 watts / 0.85) = 147 watts DC load
- I = P/V = 147 Watts / 12 volts = 12.25 amps
Last edited by BB.; October 30th, 2010 at 19:59 PDT.
20x BP 4175B panels (replacement) + Xantrex GT 3.3 inverter for 3kW Grid Tied system + Honda eu2000i Inverter/Generator for emergency backup.