solar furnace

AmDD
AmDD Registered Users Posts: 5
Hello all, I have been researching solar hot water heaters and came across some videos on youtube about a solar furnace made of soda cans. Its a neat idea and seems to work. I would like to find more info on this, specifically a write up on it rather than a video and more info on the electrical side (fan, battery if needed, charging system, inverter, thermostat, etc). I tried searching but im not sure of the actual terms to search for. Any one have experience with this or know what I should search for to get some answers?

thanks!

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: solar furnace

Check out Build It Solar http://www.builditsolar.com/ for lots of ideas about passive solar!
    It's one of my favourite "ideas" sites. :D
  • AmDD
    AmDD Registered Users Posts: 5

cool, thanks for the link! "passive solar" is that what this is actually called?
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    AmDD wrote: »
    cool, thanks for the link! "passive solar" is that what this is actually called?

Yup. "Passive solar" is any type of solar that doesn't introduce an external power source (such as a pump or fan).

This excludes solar electric because you either have a grid tied in or batteries to recharge.
    Although I'd be hard-pressed to say about direct-from-PV pump set-ups. :p