Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Propane Tanks 20lb does not equal 5 gallons (trimmed from another thread)

Default Propane Tanks 20lb does not equal 5 gallons (trimmed from another thread)

i apologize to the op as i have a stupid side question for you guys on propane filling. now it is only 5 gallons and is for my propane grill, but i only went to one place all of these years to fill it. in recent years i began to suspect them of not filling the tank all of the way and charging full price to fill it. other places to fill it are not close by so i stayed at this one place for saving on the gasoline. when they filled it the last time it went to just a bit over 4 gallons on a 5 gallon tank and i burned off any and all that was left inside for this instance. now it needs refilled again and i'm unsure if i should go elsewhere due to being ripped off or not.
    NIEL

Default Re: RV Install, wiring advice/help

Places here in Los Angeles, rip you off. It's a $5 service charge, and about $3 gallon, and 5 gal tanks only hold 4 ga, reserving some expansion space in the tank. I never ger out for less than $22. Blue Rhino exchange is only $29, so when my tank gets nasty......

Yea--I have gotten to the point where I bring at least two 20 lb (4 gallon effective capacity) tanks to get refilled because some places have a 5 gallon minimum charge.

I had one guy that stuffed in 5 gallons (doing me a favor?)--and a few days later it was venting propane spray on a warm day (a lot--like in no open fires within 20 feet a lot).

-Bill
    20x BP 4175B panels (replacement) + Xantrex GT 3.3 inverter for 3kW Grid Tied system + Honda eu2000i Inverter/Generator for emergency backup.

Yea--I have gotten to the point where I bring at least two 20 lb (4 gallon effective capacity) tanks to get refilled because some places have a 5 gallon minimum charge.
    Does a 20# tank hold 20 pounds of propane or doe it weigh 20# total when full? I have always wondered this
    15 assorted solar panels 1800 watts
    MX 60 charge controller
    940 amp hour 2 X 6-100-13 DEKA batterys
    TriMetric battery monitor
    SW4024 inverter
    Basic Stamp computer to control SW4024 from MX60

MikeO

I believe it is 20 lbs of propane. Around 4.24 lbs per gallon of propane.

-Bill
    20x BP 4175B panels (replacement) + Xantrex GT 3.3 inverter for 3kW Grid Tied system + Honda eu2000i Inverter/Generator for emergency backup.

Quote Originally Posted by mike90045 View Post
    Places here in Los Angeles, rip you off. It's a $5 service charge, and about $3 gallon, and 5 gal tanks only hold 4 ga, reserving some expansion space in the tank. I never ger out for less than $22. Blue Rhino exchange is only $29, so when my tank gets nasty......
    I go to TGP (Trans-Gas Propane) where San Fernando Road meets the 134 fwy (San Fernando & Doran). Technically the address is Los Angeles, but it's right on the border of Glendale.

http://www.transgaspropane.com/

I was there a couple weeks ago and the yard price was $1.88/gal. They do have a 5 gal minimum. No service charge. The highest I've seen the yard price was $2.27 last year.

To neil: I have noticed that when getting my tank filled (5 gal horizontal frame-mounted on a camper van) that if they don't open the bleeder valve enough, the pressure in the tank will stop the filling at less than 5 gallons (usually 4.5 or 4.6), so I always make sure that they open that valve fully. When I do that, the tank takes 4.9-5.0 gal.

Quote Originally Posted by BB. View Post
    I had one guy that stuffed in 5 gallons (doing me a favor?)--and a few days later it was venting propane spray on a warm day (a lot--like in no open fires within 20 feet a lot).

-Bill
    A propane tank can only be filled to 80% of capacity for this very reason. If it is indeed a 5 gallon tank, it can only be filled with 4 gallons of liquid propane. That is the reason for the recent requirement of OPD valves on tanks (OPD = Overfill Protection Device).

It is also why they say on the propane tanks to not store them in a garage/home/other place where ignition sources and/or poor ventilation may exist.

Guess where mine where when this happened ()--fortunately, I was home and heard the noise (venting) before my water heater set off the fumes.

-Bill

wow. ok and thanks for the responses as i just wasn't sure if i was getting ripped-off or not by the quantity being placed into the tank. as far as price goes, it is around $18 (last year) for just a little over 4 gallons so i'm at over $4/gallon. i hope it didn't go up for this year.
    so that the op's thread is not hijacked i ask that you now concern yourself with the op's concerns and any further to me can be added in your post as an after thought or send me a pm on it. my thanks to the op tolerating my side question.
    NIEL

Default Re: Propane Tanks 20lb does not equal 5 gallons (trimmed from another thread)

I think this is a good thread in its own right...

Trimmed out the Propane Tank questions into own thread.

-Bill