Grounding Inverter

My 2400 Xantrex M Sine Wave Inverter is to be grounded in only one place. The wiring from it and to the rest of the house (via main panel) passes through conduit the device boxes of which are affixed to concrete block walls which are bermed. Sometimes traces of moisture are visible on the walls after a rain. Am I dealing with multiple grounds here?

Comments

• dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭
    Re: Grounding Inverter
    Publius wrote: »
    My 2400 Xantrex M Sine Wave Inverter is to be grounded in only one place. The wiring from it and to the rest of the house (via main panel) passes through conduit the device boxes of which are affixed to concrete block walls which are bermed. Sometimes traces of moisture are visible on the walls after a rain. Am I dealing with multiple grounds here?

No, not if the ground conductor (the ground wire) is the path of least resistance.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

if you are talking about the moisture on the walls creating another path to ground, i wouldn't say so unless we start talking lightning or a strong emp that would travel that path too. the resistance is higher there to ground via that moisture, but it may have a small leakage that could cause problems under some conditions called a ground loop. i doubt it will happen, but i can't say it won't. unless you notice strange noises or interference being generating only during the times the wall is wet then suspect a ground loop from the moisture path, but unless you notice something then i wouldn't worry about it.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Thanks much to both you guys. You made my day.