Connecting MPPT charge controller/s to battery bank

Hi, I am building an electric vehicle with a 60v battery bank consisting of 5 deep cycle lead-acid batteries. From what I've read I should use an MPPT charge controller/s. My question is how to connect them as I don't see any that specify 60v output. Most of them are 12 or 24v. Should I buy 5 12v units and connect 1 to each battery in parallel or connect them in series or is there some other solution? :confused:

Thanks for any replies!

Sincerely, Leo Lichtveld.

Comments

• System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Re: Connecting MPPT charge controller/s to battery bank

I forgot to mention that I'll be using solar panels to charge the batteries; about 1200 watts of panel. I'll be making them from cells so could achieve a variety of voltages.
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like this will work on a 60 volt system, and are available from our sponsors.
    OutBack FLEXmax 60, MPPT Charge Controller, 60 amp, 12, 24, 36, 48, or 60 Volt

To work properly the panels need to be withing the limitations spelled out tin the controller. most likely in series to produce the proper volatge.

Continuous Maximum Power Point Tracking Charge Controllers

- Increases PV Array Output by up to 30%
    - Advanced Continuous Maximum Power Point Tracking
    - Full Power Output in Ambient Temperatures up to 104�F (40C)
    - Battery Voltages from 12 VDC to 60 VDC
    - Fully Output Network Integrated and Programmable
    - Programmable Auxiliary Control Output
    - Built-in 128 days of Data Logging
    - Standard 5 Year Warranty
    - Shipping weight: 18lbs

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/wind-sun/Flexmax.pdf

As far as making panels, look long and hard, it is pretty hard to beat warrantied manufacturer panels at a couple bucks per watt, or the thin film ones now nearing a $1 a watt.
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭

Most MPPT controllers can be set for 12v, 24v, and some capable to 48v batteries.

The panel Vmp voltage must be larger then the battery voltage or at least 16v per 12 volt of battery in stack. This can be accomplished by stacking panels in series.

Connect to total series battery stack, not per battery. You want the series battery stack to get uniform charging on all batteries and doing batteries individually will likely not accomplish this.

p.s., don't recommend making your own panels from individual cells. Buy a commercial panel. The price is good now. It is hard to make homebrew panels that will not degrade from moisture intrusion.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

also note that the morningstar tristar mppt and the xantrex xw mppt60-150 also can be used with 60v battery banks.
  • System2

Thanks for the answers! Is anybody aware of a more economically priced 60v MPPT charge controller? Not trying to be cheap but where I'm going that's several months wages. :D
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

sorry, but those controllers just aren't cheap.
  • AntronX
    AntronX Solar Expert Posts: 462 ✭✭
    ...Is anybody aware of a more economically priced 60v MPPT charge controller?...

Try used ones sold on eBay: Outback MX-60 $375. Note that controller is old and probably has firmware issues.
  • System2

Thanks for the replies!