220 Well pump...how many panels, batts?

EllieThomas
EllieThomas Registered Users Posts: 12
Hi,
I want to use solar for my 220 well pump. It is a 1.5 horsepower. The well is 160 ft. deep but the static water level is 76 ft. Pump is probably at 125 ft.

I would like to use a Xantrex or similar 6000 watt inverter made for 220v.

The pump needs to run at least 3-4 hours continuously per day. This is for irrigation. I only need it during the summer.

How much solar and how many batteries would I need to do this?

We are near Redding, California which has 12 hours of sun a day.

2nd question is can I use the solar and switch to electricity at will?

Please let me know if I am on the right track here.

Thanks very much,
Ellie

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: 220 Well pump...how many panels, batts?

This is really not a good idea. The cost for enough solar power to achieve this (approximately 6 kW hours per day, not including surge requirements) is astronomical. You would be better off staying with utility power and adding a grid-tie system to off-set costs (if there's enough incentives in your area).

Water is very difficult to pump. It's heavy. Even lifting 76 feet requires a lot of power. If there's no utility available (as in you want to get away from a remote generator set-up) you should look in to alternative pumps http://store.solar-electric.com/sodcwapu.html rather than try to build a battery-based solar electric system to supply the existing pump.

Sorry this is not a 'happy' answer.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you already have 220VAC at the well pump, you are doing good, anything else you do will cost you lots of $$ . I know, I just installed 1/2 hp pump, 220V off an XW6048. http://tinyurl.com/LMR-trenches

is your utility power unreliable?

My suggestion for solar is:

1.5hp is a HUGE pump. can you go smaller, and pump for longer time, the starting surge is going to be the limiting factor. (batteries and inverter) 1,400W running load

if you can't go smaller pump, consider a 3phase motor then, and use a single-3 phase motor controller to allow a "soft start" and install power factor correction caps to get running PF to 1.0

If you are sure you will only pump with good daylight, you can make a minimal battery bank to keep the pump running if a cloud comes by for a couple of minutes, you would need a 1,500W of PV.
    Then you trade off between smaller PV and larger battery bank, with many sizes along the way.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Using the PVWatts website:

Assume Sacramento CA, fixed array mounted at latitude-15 degrees (for summer power), system derating:
    • 0.77 (solar panels+charge controller) * 0.85 inverter * 0.90 (best batt eff) = 0.59 eff (assuming most pumping during full sun for better efficiency)
    "Station Identification"
    "City:","Sacramento"
    "State:","California"
    "Lat (deg N):", 38.52
    "Long (deg W):", 121.50
    "Elev (m): ", 8
    "PV System Specifications"
    "DC Rating:"," 1.0 kW"
    "DC to AC Derate Factor:"," 0.590"
    "AC Rating:"," 0.6 kW"
    "Array Type: Fixed Tilt"
    "Array Tilt:"," 23.5"
    "Array Azimuth:","180.0"

"Energy Specifications"
    "Cost of Electricity:","12.5 cents/kWh"

"Results"
    "Month", "Solar Radiation (kWh/m^2/day)", "AC Energy (kWh)", "Energy Value ($)"
    1, 2.50, 43, 5.38
    2, 3.91, 61, 7.62
    3, 5.09, 88, 11.00
    4, 6.44, 106, 13.25
    5, 7.28, 120, 15.00
    6, 7.58, 119, 14.88
    7, 7.81, 124, 15.50
    8, 7.55, 120, 15.00
    9, 6.79, 106, 13.25
    10, 5.24, 86, 10.75
    11, 3.29, 53, 6.62
    12, 2.42, 40, 5.00
    "Year", 5.50, 1064, 133.00

Assume 106 kWHr per month minimum available power per 1,000 watts of solar panels.
    • 1.5 HP * 746 watts/HP * 1/0.50 motor eff = 2,238 Watt load
    • 2,238 watts * 4 hours per day = 9,072 WH = 9 kWH per day
    • 106 kWH per month * 1/30 days per month = 3.53 kWH per day per 1,000 watts of panels
    • 9kWH per day motor / 3.53 kWH per day per 1,000 watts of panels = 2,547 watts of solar panels minimum
    For an XW power system, you need a minimum of 100 AH per 1,000 watts of solar panels--So:
    • 2,547 watts of panels * 100 AH / 1,000 watts of panels = 255 AH @ 48 volts
    • To support starting loads and such--probably 500-600 AH minimum recommended (other may have better numbers than I.
    Now--Off Grid solar is not cheap (around $1-$2+ per kWhr if you include battery replacement and other maintenance). If you could use Grid Tied Solar- (utility power is available)-you would need fewer solar panels and a much less expensive system to operate.

A Xantrex XW is a full Hybrid Inverter system with inputs for Utility Power and a second input for Generator AC power (basically a big UPS, uninterruptible power supply).

You can also look at the in ground pump too... There are several pump manufacturers that can be connected directly to solar panels.

SunPumps Solar Powered Water Pumps (in well and surface)
    Grundfos Solar Submersible Well Pumps (pump will run on solar or battery DC or 120 VAC direct)
    Dankoff SunCentric Solar Pumps (surface pump)

These may not be good for sprayers that require constant pressure (pump output changes with available solar power levels) but would be a good way to bring water to a surface cistern/impoundment area.

And use a smaller pump (ac or dc) to pressurize a sprayer system (if needed).

In general, moving water and other mechanical jobs are vary costly to power with solar RE. If you can conserve (use pumps that are efficient and can be operated from solar panels directly) and use utility power where it makes sense (through Grid Tied)--it is usually a much better solution than using off-grid solar (plus battery bank) for these type systems.

Your system sounds fairly large. You can do a few paper designs, but also talk with the experts and see what they recommend/design for your needs.

A battery backed Solar RE system would really only make sense if you have no access to utility power (too far from grid, or no grid tied / net metering allowed). Battery maintenance and monitoring is a big expensive nightmare for a remote site.

If you can split your pumping between solar direct (well to cistern--no battery bank) and a smaller pressure pump for sprinklers--you might come up with a cost effective solution.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • EllieThomas

I sure appreciate the replies even if they are not "happy" ones. The reason I want to do this is that my electric bill in June, July and August is over $400.00 compared to under $100.00 for the other months. In California PGE is on a tier system and they really kill ya in the summer months.

I have done the math and it is the well that is causing the huge increase. I am paying .30 per KWH in the 100%-200% tier.

When I retire and am on a fixed income there is no way I could afford to do this, so I am looking into ways to manage it.

I do have 9,000 gallons of rain barrels and they work well, but only lasted 34 days, darn it.

I may have to give up on this idea and get a few more rain tanks.

E
  • EllieThomas

Shoot, it may be cheaper to just run my Gas Honda Generator for the few hours a day!! :D;)
  • mike95490
    E

Get a couple of 3,000 tanks. Use a small well pump, and fill all night, at cheap rates.
    come watering time, now that the water is at ground level, you need much less pump to run the sprinkler system.

And maybe water at night, when rates are low.

I installed about 3,000 feet of drip irrigation, that uses about 1,200 gallons a day, for nearly an acre of tree orchard. I pump to 3, 3,000 gl tanks, and ran about 2,000' of 2" pipe to keep friction loss down. All solar, off grid. :cry: $$
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

• BB.

Conservation is key--looking at reducing usage and (looking at time of use billing) pumping water at night may help.

However, be sure you understand PG&E's Time of Use / Tier system... The more you use off-peak pushes your off-peak into a higher tier and increased costs.

You should look at a Grid Tied system. As far as I know, PG&E will connect a home GT system (unless there are special issues for your connection) and their one year net metering with (currently low) monthly connection fee--Solar GT can actually save you money.

At this point, I would guess running a fuel powered pump could still cost you more than $1.00 per kWHour just in fuel costs.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • AntronX
    AntronX Solar Expert Posts: 462 ✭✭

You know, this way of pumping water is also solar powered. Let evaporation do all of heavy lifting.
  • EllieThomas

You guys are great!

The tier system is that they take a year and average out what you use by month. As soon as you go over that average.... bingo, you are in another tier. You really can't win with this system. I use very little in the winter and then a lot in the summer.

I have a 60 watt solar panel and 2 deep cycle 12 volt batteries. I use a shurflo 12v pump to pump the water from my tanks to the gardens. It really works very well. I simply don't have enough.

You have helped me figure out that the rain tanks are the cheapest way to go after the inital cost of course.

This is what I have been trying to figure out and needed some guidance and expertise in the solar aspect that y'all have graciously provided.

Ellie
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

$300 per month at $.30/kwh is ~ 33 kwh/day.

To get that you are going to need ~ in the neighbourhood of 5-8,000 watts of PV, plust the other hardware. Raw panel cost of ~$2 per watt gives a rough cost of $10-16,000. I would guess a total install cost of hardware etc might be double that for $20-32,000.

It sort of makes the grid seem pretty cheap. I endorse the conservation model, time of day use. Spend your money on a grid tie system, use net metering, and time of day metering, and power the well from the grid when power is cheaper.

Tony
  • mike95490

How much water do you need each day ??

• EllieThomas

Mike,

Looks like I am using about 300 gallons per day. Will be a wee bit more in July and August I am thinking. I am using 2" pipe... does it matter how far the tanks are from the pump? I know it matters how far it has to pump the water TO but does it matter how far FROM? Dumb question, but I figure the water will simply flow from the tank wherever it is. If I get new tanks they will be further away.

Yes, Tony, you all have sure helped me to understand that solar is too expensive. (and I thought $400.00 + per month was high!!) :roll:

E
  • icarus

300 gallons per day from 75' should be a snap!

That is less than 1 gmp for ~6 hours. All kinds of small pumps and PV combinations should be able to do this, including shurfo 9300, some Sunpumps etc.

Curious question however, if you are only using 300 gpd, why are you seeing such a huge increase in your power cost? Me thinks the pump is not very efficient, or perhaps you have a leak (even in the well casing) that is forcing the pump to run way too much.

Tony
  • BB.

I was going to say the same thing as Tony--10 GPM for 30 Minutes per day should be less than $1 per day worth of power--even at those rates.

It sounds like you are using more water than you think you are.

-Bill
  • EllieThomas

You guys are so smart. The 300 gallons per day is what I need to use the rain tanks for. I use MUCH more than that per day. I was replying to Mike and the subject of the tanks.

I have sprinklers in the lawns that the rain tanks won't even try to budge. If this makes sense, I use the rain tanks for the things that I can use a micro spray or drip system on like trees, shrubs, blackberries, raspberries, etc.

The sprinklers to keep the lawns going and strawberries, etc. are a huge amount of water. I run 18 stations a day for about 3 hours a day. Soon it will be up to 5 hours a day because of the dang heat. We are over 100 degrees for July and part of August. That is why I thought maybe solar for the pump. Hey, it would water everything and I wouldn't have to worry. But no, you've shown me that it is too expensive.

Then there is household use as well. So, the pump really puts it out. Plus, I will soon be up to tiers 3,4 and 5. I have talked to PGE and explained but rules are rules. The minute I go over my average for the month they hit it hard. The rate will be more than the 30 cents. I hate that and thus, the research on solar and my 9000 gallons of water in rain tanks.

If I can supplement half of what I use with rain tanks and my small pump then I will at least be able to afford it later on.

Hope this made sense... you guys should be detectives already!! :D
  • icarus

Remember, that any battery based system will be ~twice as expensive per wh as a grid tie. I seriously would consider putting a grid it on the house. Your production might. keep you in the cheaper tiered pricing for your peak loads.

What about considering an old fashioned wind mill pump? These guys pumped a lot of water over the years and were (are) very reliable.

Tony
  • BB.

You still have lots of options to look at... A Grundfos pumping into a cistern is probably way more efficient (less power) than the pump you have now...

Pumping to a cistern at a "low pressure" (less work). Use a pressure pump and good sized air/bladder/pressure tank to supply 5-10 GPM at pressure needed for your crops.

For example, your pump may be good for 20 GPM and your usage is really only 5 GPM (standard garden hose)... You have a 1.5 HP pump only (relatively inefficiently) pumping out 0.5 HP worth of work (no pressure tank, or too small tank with lots of pump cycling). You should have some good pump guys in your area that perhaps can give you some back of the envelope advice to see if you can save substantial (like 1/2) energy or not. It would be difficult to justify spending $$$$ to save $$ a few months during the summer. Measure your Gallons per Minute and Line Pressure. And, if you can, measure the current on the well pump (ideally, the wattage--but that type of equipment is something you may have to get an electrician to do for you). A pump company should be able to pretty quickly let you know where you stand.

Anyway, conservation and Grid Tied Power should help you a lot.

You might also see if PG&E has the correct billing/rate plan for you. If you are farming/disabled/etc. -- there may be some rate offsets that can help.

Also, I believe they have both a month by month "average" billing (to give you an average $XXX bill per year and a basic bill by the month plan where you pay $AA in winter and $BBB in summer (based on actual usage)--I don't know how tiers hurt (or help you) with the yearly averaged billing...

-Bill
  • AntronX
    AntronX Solar Expert Posts: 462 ✭✭
    ...The sprinklers to keep the lawns going and strawberries, etc. are a huge amount of water. I run 18 stations a day for about 3 hours a day. Soon it will be up to 5 hours a day because of the dang heat...

Have you thought about non-pressurized way to water those plants? Watering lawn at night to reduce evaporation water loss while using off peak electricity pricing? Watering the grass less, letting it dry a little, while not enough kill it? Are you open to out-of-the-box thinking ideas in the name of resource conservation and money saving?
  • EllieThomas

That is exactly why I came here: to take a look at all options. I am watering less frequently and taking a hard look at my options. I retire in 4 years or so at which time, I would like the electric bill to be reduced. So far in the past two years I have reduced it considerably by putting different things in place.

I have thought of just putting a hose on the lawn from the water tank and flooding it, but the water does not flow very fast. I am not trying to make the lawn pretty. There is a real danger of fire every summer so I am making sure I have a green fire break.

I am considering every option in and out of the box. I don't use an air conditioner but a swamp cooler, and a host of other things.

I really appreciate the fine minds here and this type of conversation is what I have been looking for to round out my thinking.

Ellie
  • BB.

You can also get smaller AC boost pumps intended to run sprinkler systems from a low pressure water source. (you may need a solid input pipe if there is not enough inlet pressure to keep a hose from collapsing).

1/2 HP 40 PSI 580 GPH pump (Don't know anything else about this pump)

I would also suggest for your home appliances the Kill-a-Watt meter. Very good for conservation.

By the way, for A/C--The Sanyo and Fujutsu mini-split A/C (and Heat Pump version too) are very efficient small systems if you can cool just a couple rooms/small home.

Sanyo mini split AC (inverter/variable speed)
    More panels & window AC or efficient mini split AC?

Add one of those and some good insulation (lots of ceiling insulation) + double pane windows may be very nice for your home.

-Bill
  • Texas Wellman
    Texas Wellman Solar Expert Posts: 153 ✭✭

You should check out Grundfos SQ Flex system. It will allow you to run your well with solar, wind, or grid power, or all three. You will have to change our your current pump set-up.

Not exactly sure what the cost would be for what you need but it is an option.
  • Texas Wellman
    Texas Wellman Solar Expert Posts: 153 ✭✭

***exhales, hopes my quick calculations are right. I don't do this stuff everyday so there are some guestimates here***

BTW: A quick check of Frankin's website says that a 1.5 HP motor uses about 1.1KW. A 1.5 HP pumping from ~75 feet should easily do about 20 gpm, depending upon pressure. Assuming that yours is pumping 20gpm at 1.1KW and you run your motor at 8 hours a day you should be pumping 9600 gallons per day and using ~8.8KW-hours per day. This does not include starting/stopping, which draw a significant, if not short, amount of power.

@8.8KWH * $.30/kwH gives about $2.64 per day, assuming that you are paying $.30 per KWH. 2.64 * 30 days is about $80 bucks per month extra.

How much water are you really using? And are you sure there is not something else going on here?
  • BB.

Depending on what rate plan she is one with the utility (and what her "baseline" quantity is)--she could be paying $0.40 per kWH above XXXX kWHr per month (for me, that is around 1,000 kWHr per month--her baseline maybe higher).

If she was using Time of Use, then summer off peak may be $0.35 per kWH or peak $0.57 per kWH in the top tiers.

Perhaps looking at an Agricultural rate plan can help (although some plans include "reservation charges" which make simple A:B comparisons of monthly bills more difficult.

But, I do agree that there seems to be a lot of electrical power use and getting a T.E.D whole house power meter (and other versions) or equivalent to monitor various loads would be highly instructive.

-Bill
  • icarus

For what is is worth,,,at the very least, water at night when evaporative loses are at a minimum, and secondly, why so much water on the grass. My theory is let the grass go brown, maybe water once a week. You can't kill grass,, once you get to the wetter/cooler season it will pop right back to green. Maybe water less sq/ft of grass, use drip or soaker for the berries.

It is, in all honesty, astounding how much water is wasted in N. America. Obviously, I don't water anything, except a small kitchen garden plot once in a while.

Tony
  • solar_dave
    solar_dave Solar Expert Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    icarus wrote: »

It is, in all honesty, astounding how much water is wasted in N. America. Obviously, I don't water anything, except a small kitchen garden plot once in a while.

Tony

I have to agree with Tony, I am just amazed at my neighbors wanting to have a blue grass lawn in PHX.

We were naive as well first moving down here, but we did no grass and placed everything on drip. Now we are gradually moving to desert tolerant plants and removing the drip to them after they are established. They are actually healthier without the drip as it forces the root to run deeper for moisture. I suspect we will only end up with the garden plot being irrigated. Upside, this reduces our water bill by about $25 a month even on a minimal drip configuration.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

I thought this was for extensive food-producing garden? :confused:

No sense watering lawns. No sense moving to the desert and expecting it to be a rain forest.

Funny, but I actually manage to live in both now: right by the lake in a dense evergreen canopy (discounting a few million hectares of beetle-kill) and just minutes away it's desert! BC is a funny ol' place, in more ways than one. :D
  • dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

I have a buddy who lives in North Las Vegas. In his development (one of the newer ones) lawns aren't even allowed.
  • EllieThomas

Remember the lawn is not for pretty; it is for a fire break around my house. We have fires here in northern california just about every summer. Having green around me has saved me once already! I cut down the watering of grass by half.

I surely do run other things in the summer besides water and have a kill o watt meter. The only thing different is the evaporative cooler and it is on a thermostat and timer and the pool pump which I have changed out for 1/2 the hp it was using.

It is the well pump that is causing the increase. I use a LOT of water and thought having it solar would help. It still may, and I am researching what y'all have given me. Thanks so much for that.

My vegetable garden is huge at 50'X80' and I have large large patches of blackberries, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, asparagus and a fairly decent sized orchard as well. This is what is taking up the water. I've pretty much decided to get 10,000 gallons of rain tanks to add to my 9,000. This should give me a total of two months to water the gardens. It does not rain here in the summer, only the winter so they don't get refilled.

These things are fairly new, but once established don't take nearly as much water and that should help also.

I'm so glad I found this forum.

Ellie
  • BB.

Ellie,

Sorry if it seems that we hit you with lots of questions--Obviously, it is the only way we can learn about what is going on at your place.

-Bill
  • icarus

Something still confuses me. If 19,000 gallons is 2 months supply, that translates to ~500 gallon per day. If you need to pump 300 gpd that translates, @ 5 gpm to only 60 minutes of pumping. That in turn, is only ~1.5 kwh/day, or ~45 kwh/month. How are you wracking up such large pumping bills?

Tony