Minimum height for pole?

cizzi
cizzi Solar Expert Posts: 109 ✭✭✭✭
This is my first post on wind power generation. I'm looking at this kit I'd like to build :

http://www.windbluepower.com/Wind_Blue_Power_Lite_Breeze_Complete_Low_Wind_Kit_p/cy-low-kit.htm

I'm wondering whats the minimum pole height I could use with this kit in my backyard? I saw a pole kit on windsun.com thats 24 feet.. can I go less than that? Thanks.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Minimum height for pole?

Cizzi,

I would suggest that you look at the Bergey Wind Turbine Technical webpage... There are a few different Excel spread sheets that you can use to plug in "what if" questions and see how they affect your results.

One of the variables is the tower height.

They also have a small PDF 3 page paper on why short towers are bad. And many other good pieces of information--regardless of wind turbine brand/model. I downloaded one of the spread sheets to see how tower height would affect a VAWT--just to see a what if...

In general, 30' minimum above any "local objects" in something like 300' foot radius.

Of course, there is the whole issue about getting your tower up and to service your wind turbine when needed.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • WisJim
    WisJim Solar Expert Posts: 59 ✭✭✭

The general rule of thumb is 30 feet above anything within 500 feet, higher if necessary due to unusually rough terrain, installation in a clearing in a forest, etc. I would not recommend anything under 50 feet unless it was in a flat open plane with no vegetation.
  • n3qik
    n3qik Solar Expert Posts: 741 ✭✭

I had a DIY 8' dia. mill on an 20 foot pole. It worked ok. Two problems, 1- to raise and lower it took my tractor with a front end loader. 2- when it throw a 4" piece of a blade, I found it 300' away, next to my neighbors shed. I dropped it that day to never to put another one up.

Good luck, they are nice to look at when spinning, but a pain in the rear end to maintain.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

wow! this is the knid of small wind turbine i was looking for, i am sorry i am going a little off topic, but grateful to you mate...as far as the height is concerned, will get back to you, once it is delivered to me. i am going to order one immediately!
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    elmejor wrote: »
    wow! this is the knid of small wind turbine i was looking for, i am sorry i am going a little off topic, but grateful to you mate...as far as the height is concerned, will get back to you, once it is delivered to me. i am going to order one immediately!

Fire, Ready, Aim
    sigh.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,