Micro inverters, mounts, rebates

dsc3507
dsc3507 Registered Users Posts: 8
Trying this again as the other message went off into the trivia of a post in the ground. I can certainly figure that out. I am not putting up a massive mast!

So I repeat... This is a system I was looking at trying....

Sharp NU-U240F1 Solar Panel, 240 watt and Enphase M190-72-240. So for less than $1000 I can get something up and running and add-on as I please at about $3-4/W parts cost.

Has anyone used the Endphase products? One question concern I have is there monitoring system. It seems to link back to their site if the internet is connected but you can keep it off the net and view a local web page. Does anyone have any privacy concerns with this? Essentially they monitor all their systems worldwide as long as they are Internet connected. I guess that is good for service.

Are there any DIY'ers out there that have made there own pole or post mounts?

I have another question regarding the federal rebate or credit. Do you basically add up all of the components purchased to make a complete system within a tax year and use that as the credit for that year?

I assume as long as you pay federal taxes you can use this credit as long as it does not exceed the taxes you paid in that year. I my case my wife and I are both retired and have no earned income but do pay federal taxes on retirement income.

Would all items used to complete the system be included? In a DIY installation I assume labor could not be included.

Comments

• solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Micro inverters, mounts, rebates

You use the 30% tax break and if you have enough to cover your taxes this year, you don,t have to pay any taxes. Whatever balance you have left you roll over each year till you use it up. I retired this year and have a balance left over from 2009. Going to cash in the 401k this year and use the tax break to cover the taxes on them. After this year I won,t ever have to pay the irs anymore, I Hope! If you get home power magazine you might be able to look on thier archives for storys about wooden racks. I might try to make one but I will go lots deeper than you mentioned. Can,t tell you anything about the inverters you talk of. Subscribing to homepower magazine is very worthwhile if you plan on doing some alternitive electric. Thier web is homepower,com. Usually you have to be a subscriber to read the archives, but a few are free. S:Dlarvic
  • drees
    drees Solar Expert Posts: 482 ✭✭✭
    dsc3507 wrote: »
    Sharp NU-U240F1 Solar Panel, 240 watt and Enphase M190-72-240. So for less than $1000 I can get something up and running and add-on as I please at about $3-4/W parts cost.
    I think your price is low unless you can get the panel for about $1/watt.

Inverter $200
    Install kit (pigtail, endcap, junction box mount) $60
    Wiring/rails $200
    Monitoring $360
    Leaves $180 for the panel. Where are you getting those panels for so cheap? The rest of us want to know. ;)

The Enphase inverter will push out 199W maximum. Depending on your location/mounting/etc you could easily be limiting maximum power by a decent amount. If the angle of the panels will be less than optimal and/or it's normally very hot where you are, it will be OK, but otherwise I would probably recommend limiting panel power ratings to about 220W or so. Opinions will vary on what is the "optimal" size panel - that will obviously depend on how much the panel will cost you.

Besides that - I don't see the panel you are referring to on the Enphase compatibility chart.
    Has anyone used the Endphase products? One question concern I have is there monitoring system. It seems to link back to their site if the internet is connected but you can keep it off the net and view a local web page.
    Yes, the Envoy/EMU costs about $360 and collects data from each inverter and uploads it over the internet to Enphase's Enlighten website. 90 days of this service is free, after which you'll have to pay about $2/year per inverter for the service.

The monitoring service isn't required, but you only have limited data available from the EMU without it - you get current system output and diagnostics from each inverter.
    Does anyone have any privacy concerns with this? Essentially they monitor all their systems worldwide as long as they are Internet connected. I guess that is good for service.
    No privacy concerns here - you have the option of making your system data available to the public or not.
    Would all items used to complete the system be included? In a DIY installation I assume labor could not be included.
    In a DIY installation, nothing is included except for the components you buy. There is a decent amount more to it than just plugging in an inverter and panel if you want to do it right. Just the permitting process depending on your jurisdiction can present enough of a hassle that you'd want to hire a pro.
  • dsc3507
    dsc3507 Registered Users Posts: 8

I think your price is low unless you can get the panel for about $1/watt.

Inverter $200
    Install kit (pigtail, endcap, junction box mount) $60
    Wiring/rails $200
    Monitoring $360
    Leaves $180 for the panel. Where are you getting those panels for so cheap? The rest of us want to know.

Prices I have found are $190 for the Enphase and about $720 for the Sharp panel. I have seen 200 watt range Kyocera panels for $580

Yes there would be a one time charge for wiring and conduit to the site and the monitoring unit which I did not include. Additional panels could be added at under 1K.

I think this site must be mostly installers as it seems the answers while often helpful try to minimize a DIY installation. Hey installers I have news for you. The DIY'ers are not going to take a substantial business from you. There will still be plenty of work out there as most would not know where to begin. The sad thing is we are becoming a service oriented society. No one knows how to do anything anymore.
  • drees
    drees Solar Expert Posts: 482 ✭✭✭
    Hey installers I have news for you. The DIY'ers are not going to take a substantial business from you.
    Funny thing is - My very own system is DIY - I do not do solar for a living. I tried to give advice as a direct result of my own DIY experience. I spent months doing research, drawing plans, making multiple plan revisions and multiple trips to city hall before getting permit, ordering all the equipment and installing the system on the roof with the help of my dad, brother and friend (who luckily does work in the solar business and was able to provide a lot of insight as to the proper way to design/build a roof-mounted PV system).

Actually, I think the site is pretty evenly split between pros and DIY guys here and for the most part everyone gets along great.
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭

dress This guy started another thread and didn,t like the answers he got so started a new one with same subject. Thread needs attached to the other one. Don,t you need to use these enphase inverters in a grid connected system? I think when he gets started with it he will find that $1000. won,t do it. In my case which I think was cheaper and easier than some here. Besides the prices that were quoted, There are lots more cost that isn,t included here. Additions to add on. Freight for all these items. I paid $200 just for freight on 2 solar panell. Sent Power co $100 and a bunch of drawings, circuits, inverters to be used locations of equip. ect. After I was approved inspector wanted the same info plus more. Building and electrical inspection. Another $140 for that. I would also think inspecter might frown on wood mounting. Plus I had an electrician to draw wireing diagrams and do the final hookup to make the twp happy. S:Dlarvic