Xantrex Freedom HF 1000 Inverter/Charger

Hi there,

Not sure if this should go into Advanced Solar Tech Support or Off Grid (as that is where I am using it).

I was at my cottage this past weekend, beautiful sunny Sunday, inverter was on, stereo was playing when all of the sudden the Inverter alarm goes off.

I zip over, its throwing error code "E03". So, I shut it off and grab the users manual.

Here is what it has to say about error E03:

Error Code: E03
Condition: AC output overload shutdown
Mode: Inverting
Action: 1) Reduce the loads connected to the AC outlet of the unit. 2) Check appliances that have high-surge ratings and disconnect if necessary.

I scratch my head....there isn't anything else running, just a 30 watt stereo. There is just me here and NOTHING is even connected to the inverter wiring that could possibly trip a AC Overload.

So, I turn off all breakers (no possible loads can exist now) and I turn the Inverter back on. It turns on (but doesn't generate power), then throws error "E03" again then shuts down.

So, I physically disconnect the AC In (from Generator - no the generator had not been running) and the AC Out wiring from the Inverter. Now its just Inverter connected to batteries, no AC loads exist. I turn the Inverter on, its on for 10 seconds (still not Inverting), then throws error "E03" and then shuts down again.

Whats happening? Did the Inverter just decide to quit, throw error E03, and never start working again?

Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Xantrex Freedom HF 1000 Inverter/Charger

I don't have an answer--but if it is still in warranty--probably contact Xantrex (or whomever does warranty support) and get the clock set so that you don't run out of warranty as you are looking for answers.

However, it sounds like you have an inverter hardware failure. :cry:

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • arkieoscar
    arkieoscar Solar Expert Posts: 101 ✭✭

I installed 4 HF inverter/chargers last year. 3 1800's and 1 -1000. Two of the 1800's failed. One stopped charging. It would pass through and invert but wouldn't charge. The other quit completely, it showed inverting (no errors) but had no output. Both were replaced under warranty. The 1000 is still in service but who knows for how long. Xantrex replaced the second unit with a Marine 20, a much better unit. They said they didn't have any of HF for replacement. Customer is finally happy. I hope that Schneider will improve the quality of the lower lines they sell.
  • lotwsolar
    lotwsolar Registered Users Posts: 7
    arkieoscar wrote: »
    I installed 4 HF inverter/chargers last year. 3 1800's and 1 -1000. Two of the 1800's failed. One stopped charging. It would pass through and invert but wouldn't charge. The other quit completely, it showed inverting (no errors) but had no output. Both were replaced under warranty. The 1000 is still in service but who knows for how long. Xantrex replaced the second unit with a Marine 20, a much better unit. They said they didn't have any of HF for replacement. Customer is finally happy. I hope that Schneider will improve the quality of the lower lines they sell.

Can only hope customer service gets better because I can't imagine it getting any worse. Its now....April 6th.....Inverter died on Feb 28/Mar 1. Delivered to Xantrex on March 11th. Was told when I opened the RMA that no replacement units would be available until the beginning of April (?!?! - what kind of RMA service is that? Oh yeah, its cool, I'm just sit in the dark and wait).

Currently on hold with Xantrex Support....I'll keep you posted.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

if xantrex determined your inverter faulty under warranty then they should send you something else equal to or better than that model when that model is unavailable for some time, i would think.
  • lotwsolar

Well after a few days of trying I did manage to get through to someone at Xantrex. I spoke to their customer service rep who managed to moved the available date for my inverter from April 28th to April 16th. Not quite sure how that works....somehow stock is just magically available? :confused: Since its in the United States and I'm in Canada April 16th will more likely turn into an actual delivery date of April 28th but I guess that's better then nothing.

Am I taking this lying down? Should I be a bit more ticked off? The inverter is for my cottage, which is island property and we are currently between ice road season and boating season so it is not like I could use the inverter right now if I had it anyway.

But some how I just feel like 2 months start to finish on an RMA is too much.:grr
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Was not/is not Xantrex a Canadian Company?

Corporate Operations
    8999 Nelson Way
    Burnaby, BC
    Canada V5A 4B5
    General Tel: 604.422.8595
    General Fax: 604.420.1591

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • niel

bb,
    the corporate headquarters means nothing as it is an international company and his inverter may very well be in the us. also note that schneider electric is in france.;)
  • lotwsolar

It does appear that Corporate Headquarters are in Canada. But the repair depot is in Illinois.

I'm not sure what else I can do. The extremely frustrating part is that my local Canadian Tire has the Freedom HF1000 in stock right now!

Although thinking about what Arkieoscar said I'm not all that surprised that Xantrex is out of stock. Is it time to go after Corporate about this? EECB style?

PS. EECB --> http://consumerist.com/2007/05/how-to-launch-an-executive-email-carpet-bomb.html
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You have got to have spares if it is critical !
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• niel

my thoughts too dave as no matter what without a spare inverter you will be down for some time no matter the turnaround time. i would not go as far as bombing them with emails, but asking for an occasional update does not hurt as you don't want them to forget about you.
  • arkieoscar
    arkieoscar Solar Expert Posts: 101 ✭✭

It seems there have been some major changes going on with the Schnieder takeover. I am hoping they're for the better. I called a couple of weeks ago and the cust. serv. dept. was "temporarily closed". It opened late that day and the tech. didn't want to comment on why they were closed. Seems to be the same people.
  • TenMile
    TenMile Solar Expert Posts: 62 ✭✭

I recently purchased an HF1000 from Canadian Tire and just experienced the same inverter failure you noted. Fortunately had the bill of sale so got it replaced. The old unit had a manufacture date of 2008 although only purchased it 4 weeks ago.

Replacement is the same unit, however is now branded as Motomaster, Canadian Tires in store brand. They are selling them for $149.

I use this unit in our boat.