off-grid system - winter shutdown

I am in the process of installing an off-grid system at my cottage, which is not used during the winter. My question is... is the system is shut down for the winter, what if any will affect the batteries during the winter. Batteries will be enclosed in a insulated housing. Winter temp can go as low as -40F for a month or so.

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: off-grid system - winter shutdown

if no power is left to the batteries for a float charge this could be detrimental to the batteries. batteries lose so much every month as their shelf life is somewhat poor. agms do better, but still lose every month. if left at full charge when leaving i doubt the batteries would freeze for most people(depends on battery type and your weather), but the sulfation that could result from not being maintained would without a doubt hurt them. if you have some solar there then leave it connected to keep a charge to the batteries with a proper controller. the batteries won't need much and some outages due to snow cover won't hurt the batteries unless that cover is for many many weeks on end.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

A fully charge FLA battery won't freeze until ~-60. If they have some charge, and they are in an insulated box they will be fine. (There are numerous threads on this subject on this forum)

You might consider designing at least one panel or string of panels to mount on the wall so that they won't accumulate snow. I have a pair, hinged on the wall, so that when i leave in the winter, the batteries always get some sun. With some sun, they won't freeze in the real world.

Tony
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Thanks for the info.. found info in beginners section.
    Found better just to turn off loads.

System...
    4 Kyoceras 210's - Magnum MS-AE 24, Flexmax60
    Batteries this spring... 4- Surrette S-600 or Trojan L16 not sure yet..
    Still gathering info .
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Turning off the load step one, as there is no reason to power loads that no one is going to use (with some exceptions!). But batteries will self discharge, and should be either left on float over the winter, or at the very least, they should be periodically topped up.

T
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Tanks Icarus...

Once system is up and running, I guess its a matter of tweeking.
    Do not go to the cottage at all during the winter, pretty cold in the 'Peg.