Evergreen "B" vs. "C" Panel

Crystal
Crystal Solar Expert Posts: 128 ✭✭✭
Does anyone know if there is any difference between "B" and "C" panel that Evergreen offers?

The only thing that I've come across is that the "C" are not UL certified and the "B" are UL certified.

There is a bit a price difference as well.

The only reason for UL certification is if one were getting government grants/incentives/etc. and if an professional installer were to intall...correct?
Is there be any reasons other than the above to not go with the C's.

Thanks!

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Evergreen "B" vs. "C" Panel

warranty?
    Name plate rating? ie. not all 12 v nominal are the same
    Precision of output? + - X % ?
    cosmetics?
    Insurance ramifications?

Eric

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • James
    James Solar Expert Posts: 250 ✭✭

Could it be that the B type are cosmetic blem types?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

I believe, last I read around here is that "B" are cosmetic blems with full rating/warranty/NRTL approvals.

"C" are sometimes sold under another name and don't have NRTL Listing (UL, CSA, etc.).

Vendor probably does C to get rid of stuff that does not meet inspection requirements and does the name change / NRTL drop in order to keep the name-brand prices from eroding.

If you are building a large array that is attached to your home/other insured structure (at least in US/Canada)--probably would not be a good idea to pick "C" in case something bad happens. If insurance company wished--they could use the non-NRTL listing as a reason for non-payment of claims. May not be fair or legally correct--but you would probably have to pay a goodly amount of lawyer fees to collect.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

BB has it.

FLA (Famous long ago) on another forum a leading seller of 'C' grade panels said they would not meet specs due to the cells being to close to each other and would not tolerate long strings, that they "should" be fine for charging appications.

I believe they had the power warranty but through his company rather than Evergreen.

I'll try to check the posting in the other forum to see that my facts are correct, and let you know.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.