Updating my heating system using grundfos alpha 2 pumps

peterako
peterako Solar Expert Posts: 144 ✭✭
After a happy installation this summer from a Grundfos alpha2 pump for my solar hot water system. and dropping my energy use from 40W to a nice 5 to 7 W ( starting up is 22W for a 30 sec. and then it slowly comes down to 5 - 7 W after a 25 sec.).

The energy use is really low and it is nearly whit out noise:D.
So i ordered four more pumps to replace the pumps used by my underfloor heating system a setup running 3 months a year 24h a day using old fashion 60 W pumps.

So the big day came and i closed all isolation valves keeping all under pressure in segments, and i can remove three pumps losing only the water in the pump it self.

Replacing wash fast and easy, after slowly opening the isolation valves the introduced air wash removed by the automatic air removing valves success full. trapped air in a under floor heating can be big problem and takes time to remove. that wash my main stress part avoiding air and balancing the system.

Starting up the system wash giving my wife a nice surprise no more sound, the old pumps hat a clear soft hum sound special at night when the house is quiet.

Starting up wash 22W and slowly to 19 W and holding there, the instructions from Grundfoss say to leave the pump to run for 24H for automatic adjustments.
Every pump runs 10 loops every loop around 180 meter long so it needs force to start moving this water mass. checking after 4 H i am very happy pump1 and 2 running 14 W pump 3 running 9 - 10W. pump 4 is not yet installed it is the main pump from the heating system also grundfos and i have to leave the pump housing and replace pump impeller + the new electronic. the advice from grundfos is to replace a seal inside the pump ( so i ordered and i am waiting )

end result the old technology pump 60 W running around 52 to 55 W. running together 160 W. the new setup running 48 W :D .

I am very happy and i see the results on my battery monitor.

See the link to the pump http://www.energyproject.com/

There are maybe as well other manufacturers on the market. check around the pumps are not cheap.
p.s. I am not working for grundfoss or selling there products i am just a very happy customer.

Greetings from Greece

Comments

• System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Re: Updating my heating system using grundfos alpha 2 pumps

Thanks for the information. I was researching a pump for my solar hot water. I was going to go with a DC pump with a battery and panels until I found this pump. The saying was just what I want and at the same price as a dc pump. If these are as good as they look I will also purchase 2 for my hot water boiler system later.

Thanks again,
    Dave
  • audredger
    audredger Solar Expert Posts: 272 ✭✭

Yeah, thanks. My Taco craped out a week ago and the new $135 cartrige growls. Thought about a Grundfos, may just do it.
  • peterako
    peterako Solar Expert Posts: 144 ✭✭

I am very pleased white the pumps.

Last week my wife asked when i am replacing the last pump ( in my wood stove )
    The most amazing thing is the capacity is not changed but it has extra special durring startup.

in the instructions there is a information about radiant floor heating. i am not using that one but use the autoadapt function . in my case the works better whit the thermostatic valves.

greetings from Greece8)