talk me through charging batteries ... (need bulk charging voltage)

al128
al128 Solar Expert Posts: 65 ✭✭✭✭
hi there,

I recently bought a used deep cycle battery for very cheap. The producer's site is down, the producer out of business - so no way to get further information from the horse's mouth.

Here are some facts concerning the batt:

- 12V 100ah
- lead acid (maintainance free w/o access to electrolyte)
- recommended floating voltage 13.7V (says label)
- the batt. is visually pretty new, measured 12.6V when I got it, and 12.9V after a day of charging
- my charger is a xantrex c12 (charger/lighting thingy) that allows setting the charging voltages

based on this information, what value would you set your bulk charging voltage (in the charger)???

thx,
al

Comments

• RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: talk me through charging batteries ... (need bulk charging voltage)

Sounds like a typical lead-calcium marine battery.

Bulk setting is 14.3v to 14.5 vdc.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

I suggest you read some of the following: http://www.batteryfaq.org/
    http://www.batteryfaq.org/

Tony
  • GreenPowerManiac
    GreenPowerManiac Solar Expert Posts: 453 ✭✭✭

Al,

Sounds like my SLA's. I have a Morningstar Ts-60 charge controller and it's set at 14.0 volts to bulk charge. Gel type batteries should be charged at no more than 14.1 volts and the slower the better.

If your battery floats at 12.9v then I would suggest a few more days of no-load charging to see if it increases. If not, it could be partially sulfated. Does your charger have PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) ? Mine does and will PWM when it reaches floating charge and desulfate the plates clean over a few days, thus raising the charge level back to optimum.
    Nature's Design & Green Energy on FaceBook : Stop by and "Like" us anytime.. Many up-to-date articles about Renewables every day.
    WWW.GreenAnything.Net    Ad free website.
    Lots of DIY Renewable Energy Projects on ETSY : Solar Panel builds, Wind Turbine builds, Rain Barrel build,etc.  
  • al128
    Al,

Sounds like my SLA's. I have a Morningstar Ts-60 charge controller and it's set at 14.0 volts to bulk charge. Gel type batteries should be charged at no more than 14.1 volts and the slower the better.

If your battery floats at 12.9v then I would suggest a few more days of no-load charging to see if it increases. If not, it could be partially sulfated. Does your charger have PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) ? Mine does and will PWM when it reaches floating charge and desulfate the plates clean over a few days, thus raising the charge level back to optimum.

the c12 is a pwm charger ... the bat. came in at 12.9V after a mostly cloudy day, w/ just a 75w panel hooked up (4.5 amps? at 17V) ... I doubt I really reached bulk voltage to go into absorption ...

why is it that whenever i buy a bat. we get a week's worth of clouds and rain :-/

I currently run them at 14.4v bulk and 13.6v float ... what are things I should keep an eye on over the next few days in order to determine how healty this puppy is?

thx, again
    al
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

i have to ask you if that 12.9v you measured was after allowing the battery to rest for 2-3 hours with no loads or charging current? this is termed at rest voltage. if so, it sounds like it reached full charge to me. 12.6v is not that terribly far down so it is possible you charged it. 14.4v is quite common for many batteries to charge with and there are exceptions, but based on the higher float voltage i don't think there's a need to go lower than 14.4v bulk voltage unless you suspect it to be a gel battery. i wonder if the auto eq charge can be disabled on it as you won't need that for 1 battery.
  • al128
    niel wrote: »
    i have to ask you if that 12.9v you measured was after allowing the battery to rest for 2-3 hours with no loads or charging current? this is termed at rest voltage. if so, it sounds like it reached full charge to me. 12.6v is not that terribly far down so it is possible you charged it. 14.4v is quite common for many batteries to charge with and there are exceptions, but based on the higher float voltage i don't think there's a need to go lower than 14.4v bulk voltage unless you suspect it to be a gel battery. i wonder if the auto eq charge can be disabled on it as you won't need that for 1 battery.

I measured after dark, so likely 1-2 hours after charging ended ...

day 1 ( after dark) 12.9V
    day 2 (after dark) 13.2V

and yes, i disabled the automatic EQ charge since I cant access the cells ...

how would I find out if its a gel battery? ... shaking it and not hearing fluids slushing i guess ... right?

again, thx
    al
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    al128 wrote: »
    how would I find out if its a gel battery? ... shaking it and not hearing fluids slushing i guess ... right?

again, thx
    al

Are there removable caps on the top ? If no caps, either GEL or AGM

Mfg and model # will give a good clue
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• al128
    mike90045 wrote: »
    Are there removable caps on the top ? If no caps, either GEL or AGM

Mfg and model # will give a good clue

no caps, as its a maintainance free bat...

but then again, my Honda Civic's battery is maintainance free but surely not GEL or AGM :confused: