Computer (PC) power savings notes - DVD drive

Some of you may remember I had posted detailed power usage specs on a customized desktop pc i built (not the webserver but a regular desktop computer w/a 12v fanless power supplyy). Well: at that time i had measured the advantages of removing your DVD or CD drive to make it a external USB model: the idea is to turn it on only when needed. In my case the dvd drive sits unused 99% of the time my pc is on so it made sense. I'd measured in my last pc (had an amd athlon processor, very fast) that the DVD drive used a LOT of power, even idle. I verified this with a couple of brands of DVD drive, bioth were similar, I forgot what exactly but it was a notable amount: 5 to 10 + watts if i recall. here's a little blurb i just wrote in my business newsletter im including to eliminate typing it again: (i am leading up to a point have patience)
I just upgraded my main office PC from an AMD athlon 64 bit system to a low end Intel Core 2 Duo processor. If this means nothing to you, note that Intel Core 2 Duo processors are what's in a lot of the latest computers from many manufacturers. These processors offer more performance and use less power, throttling back power usage when not needed. What a great upgrade: a faster computer and less power used! I have always been a fan of AMD based systems for performance and cost savings, but Intel finally has an outstanding hands down winning product with this processor. The system still uses 7 watts when turned off, but of course it's switched off with a power strip around here. Using a laptop SATA hard drive has also taken a few watts off the system's power consumption, so that as I write this, the meter is showing the system using only about 50 watts. This is a full featured desktop computer with minimal customization. Future plans are to convert the DVD/RW to a removable USB device (by buying an affordable cdrom enclosure that hooks up to the pc vioa usb or firewire), and installing a fanless 12v power supply should drop it even lower..

now: i just had some time to test the systems power usage with the dvd drive unplugged and it only changed 2 to 4 watts! it's one of the same dvd drives that when added to my previous system added a good percentage to the power usage of the overall system. The only thing I can think of is that the motherboard is smart enough to reduce power to the peripheral whn not being used. I have never heard of this feature.

it's an asus P5GZ-MZ motherboard if anyone is curious, and has the usual acpi power savings features. anyone else know what to think?
so, im guessing this is something worth trying on a system by system basis.

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Computer (PC) power savings notes - DVD drive

could you verify that asus is throttling back that power by contacting them for this verification? that would indeed be a nice mb feature.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

i just did that, ill let you know when i hear from them.
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

:-o WOW! Only 50 watts, against the almost 200 watts for mine!
    200 watts sucks when you're living off small scale solar. 50 watts would be awesome, I could live with that.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

My, now old, HP Presario 2800 laptop runs about 20-35 watts (on AC, screen off-on) and less than 1 watt when on standby... Another way to go.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • lamplight
    lamplight Solar Expert Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    they never responded, i must have been having a flashback.

anyhow that article i wrote on power savings in computing came out and is available here as a large (8mb) pdf so dont click unless you have high speed net. theres not a ton that people here dont know, but maybe some info on RoHS and 80plus power supplies some people may not have heard about.