XW CC blown GFP fuse

Dapdan
Dapdan Solar Expert Posts: 330 ✭✭
Hey guys,

Checked my xw cc tonite and discovered that the klkd 1 fuse had blown. Now the unit is down and I dont know how long my system will be down now. Does one have to reinstall said fuse before I restart or is there a way one could temporarily harvest solar energy until the fuse is reinstalled.

Secondly how can i reduce the ground fault leakage that caused the fuse to blow in the first place. Should I bypass the GFP circuitry in the CC and install an external GFP breaker?

Thanks for the help as usual.

Cheers...
Damani:cry:

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: XW CC blown GFP fuse

The fuse is to detect when there is a "+" to Earth Ground Fault--1 amp GF detection fuse blows when this happens and a fuse "sensor" turns off the Charge Controller (when the fuse pops)...

You will need to find where the 1+ amp short is located before you connect anything back up.

And/or you can review the XW CC documentation on grounding and decide if you want/need to run without the Ground Fault Fuse and Detector Enabled.

Check the Grounding Application Notes for details.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Dapdan

Thanks BB,

so can I run the xw cc temporarily with the GFP disabled until I get another fuse and diagnose the problems or is it recommended that you set up the CC with the GFP enabled. My system is earth at one location and there is no negative bonded to earth. All my charge controllers share the same earth.

Cheers...
    Damani
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Damani,

Short answer is--I do not have a clue if it would be safe to operate your system without the GF Fuse and detector disabled.

It all depends on what caused the fuse to fail in the first place...

Was a wrench touched from the positive battery post to earth ground (temporary). Or was it a positive wire that had the insulation fail to earth ground (cut, wear, connection pulled apart, etc.--"permanent").

I am not a big supporter of GF detection circuits in the DC Side of solar RE systems. I think putting a 1 amp fuse in a "safety ground" circuit, which can "open" and cause the system "-" to become energized with respect to ground, violates a whole number of safety guidelines.

However, in your system--which indicates there may be a + to earth short--leaving the short is bad news. Bypassing the GF fuse may just cause the fault to start frying your wiring, or clear the fault with an arc, or do nothing if there was no fault, etc.... I just do not know.

It is possible that you just have a bad fuse (fuses are designed to fail before anything else)--However, until you have investigated the cause, you do not know what is wrong.

As part of your diagnoses--you can try placing a small 12 volt lamp (like an automotive bulb--or several in series if this is a 24/48 volt system) clipped across the fuse holder. If it lights--the short is still present and needs to be fixed. If it does not light--perhaps the short was temporary or the fuse failed on its own (not likely, but possible).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

I think you can move the jumper to defeat the gfcp and temporarily make some power. You do need to find the fault though if there is one. I have had a system with the outback gfcp trip and the customers tv had smoked and nearest i can tell the tv caused the gfcp to trip?
  • Dapdan

Hey BB, 1/2

I have moved over the jumper and back to making power again temporarily. I did check the fuse points with a dvm and registered o amps and 1.3v but this was after i moved the jumper. I will have to set up the jumper back to the position where i got the fault and check the same way again. I will also check on the wires feeding the CC and those that feed the disconnect switch coming from the panel to make sure they have good integrity. Outside of those check where else should be checked in realation to diagonosing the cause of the fault. As to Bill questions no faults were caused by human interaction (drop metal or crossing wires) it was harvesting in the day just fine (yesterday) and during the night I looked at the CC and it was giving me a ground fault message. There was however some storm activity in the latter part of the day.

Cheers...
    Damani