What is flooded battery?

Options
easytim
easytim Solar Expert Posts: 57 ✭✭✭✭
A flooded battery means a battery that you can add water to - Correct ?

The term flooded is new to me

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: What is flooded battery?

Yep... Flooded Cell Battery just means it has liquid electrolyte in it... As opposed to Gel (electrolyte "Jello") or AGM (absorbed glass mat) which holds electrolyte (and some air) in a fiberglass mat.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    easytim wrote: »
    A flooded battery means a battery that you can add water to - Correct ?

The term flooded is new to me

Yes and no. The term 'Flooded Lead Acid' refers to the standard battery construction where plates are immersed in a 'loose' acid solution. This is as opposed to AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) where the acid is fixed inside the glass mat between the plates or the gel cell where the acid is a gel.

Not all FLA batteries have removable caps that allow you to add water; some are sealed but are not AGMs.
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Interesting Marc,
    Is what you described what we buy as "maintenance free"car batteries?

Ralph
  • Kamala
    Kamala Solar Expert Posts: 452 ✭✭
    Options

Flooded Marine/RV batteries also come in maintenance free (in my opinion, maintenance prevented) designs.

My first, and last, experience with one was a 12V 100AH model running a high power car stereo (with subwoofer) mounted on a two wheel hand truck. As the system was "trucked" acid would spill! I built a "swing" to keep the battery level but it was too late. Battery death. I did away with the swing and went to an AGM.