Using Solar System Prior To Utility Approval

solemio
solemio Registered Users Posts: 16
A friend is doing this. Can they get in trouble or be fined?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,433 admin
    Re: Using Solar System Prior To Utility Approval

It depends on your utility...

In my area (near SF California)--The installer had the system all connected and ready to go (long ago, the paperwork was supplied to the utility and they had approved the vendor, design, and my homeowners insurance). Building inspector came by--gave the OK and the switch was turned on.

Two week later, the utility worker came out to install my Time of Use meter--I asked if he needed to check anything--Just the final inspection tag and he left.

Two weeks later, I got a $180 or so electric bill (normal bill, before solar was around $30 and was probably -$20 credit in reality). My guess is that the meter turned backwards and the billing computer did not "know" about net metering for my account at that time. Assumed the meter reader made a mistake and the computer just "guessed" at what digit was wrong (until the amount went positive).

By that time, the original meter "was gone"... They just charged me my average 2 week bill and everything went fine after that. I was told by somebody else (at least at that time 4 years ago) the messed up first bill was standard with our utility.

There is a posibility that the current utility meter does not respond the way it should... It may not turn backwards--or in some cases will turn "forward" when it should be going backwards--and bill him for the solar power he is generating.

If you have a utility company that does not like Net Metering--they may take the opportunity to cause problems. Don't know.

It may just be easier to turn the system off instead... And avoid any hassles. Probably only talking about a few $10's of dollars of lost energy generation while waiting for the utility.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • tallgirl
    tallgirl Solar Expert Posts: 413 ✭✭
    solemio wrote: »
    A friend is doing this. Can they get in trouble or be fined?

Depends on what "Utility Approval" means.

If they have power enough, open the main service breaker and run off grid for a while.

Unless they have one of those battery-less systems ...
  • solemio
    solemio Registered Users Posts: 16
    tallgirl wrote: »
    Depends on what "Utility Approval" means.

If they have power enough, open the main service breaker and run off grid for a while.

Unless they have one of those battery-less systems ...

"Utility approval" means that PG&E has not yet inspected the system, installed a digital meter, and signed off on the permit.
  • tallgirl
    tallgirl Solar Expert Posts: 413 ✭✭
    solemio wrote: »
    "Utility approval" means that PG&E has not yet inspected the system, installed a digital meter, and signed off on the permit.

Tell your friend not to use it.

The alternative is to open the main service breaker and run without PG&E.
  • dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

I remembered this exact situation being discussed recently, so I did a quick search for the word "inspection" and found it:

http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?t=5439&highlight=inspection
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,433 admin

The difference (as I read it) was the other link had no final building department sign-off...

This post was that the Utility had not done the meter swap-out yet.

PG&E (same utility as original poster), 4 years ago, did not care that my system was on after final inspection. They relied on the City Building Department for approval (safety). I think I even asked the building inspector if I could leave it on--and they said it was legal (at least from their point of view).

Having my system on for two weeks messed up the billing (account was not set up for net metering yet).

In this case, the issue is probably not a problem. However, things change in 4 years and there are different PG&E regions... :confused:

If there is any concern--leaving the system off until the meter is swapped out is the conservative approach.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset