a software question about xw config tool

Options
t00ls
t00ls Solar Expert Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
I currently have the xw config tool program running. I'm using the apox can to usb an dan lenox's pd lite program

what I want to do is put the logging info on my website so it continuously updates every 2 - 3 minutes on the site.

I'm using Linux ubuntu server 8.4 and cant get either program to run on ubuntu,I tried using wine,but it didnt work.

my question is ,does anyone know of a program that will run on ubuntu that will work with the apox can to usb for an xw system and how would I go about getting the info to update in a webpage automatically

any help appreciated

Comments

• tallgirl
    tallgirl Solar Expert Posts: 413 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: a software question about xw config tool
    t00ls wrote: »
    I currently have the xw config tool program running. I'm using the apox can to usb an dan lenox's pd lite program

what I want to do is put the logging info on my website so it continuously updates every 2 - 3 minutes on the site.

I'm using Linux ubuntu server 8.4 and cant get either program to run on ubuntu,I tried using wine,but it didnt work.

my question is ,does anyone know of a program that will run on ubuntu that will work with the apox can to usb for an xw system and how would I go about getting the info to update in a webpage automatically

any help appreciated

What's the interface to the Xantrex box? I'm looking to add Xantrex support to my software and perhaps we can help each other out a bit here.
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭
    Options
    tallgirl wrote: »
    What's the interface to the Xantrex box? I'm looking to add Xantrex support to my software and perhaps we can help each other out a bit here.

There are two major lines, the GT inverters and the XW products. The GT inverters are RS232 and a simple ASCII command/response protocol, I wrote what xantrex gives away ( GT-View ) and offer for free SG-View which is a updated version for free on my site

The XW line uses Xanbus, which is Modbus over CAN, the lowest cost PC interface is over 100 bucks. Its a very robust but complex architecture that only some of the details are public knowledge. For example, 3rd party vendors are prohibited from even making setting changes or it will invalidate the warranty ... while this might seem draconian, its to protect user from software that could brick or blowup the hardware.

Its a major undertaking and there is virtually no market as Xantrex already has XW-Config that does everything including logging, firmware updates ect that they give away for free.
  • tallgirl
    tallgirl Solar Expert Posts: 413 ✭✭
    Options
    There are two major lines, the GT inverters and the XW products. The GT inverters are RS232 and a simple ASCII command/response protocol, I wrote what xantrex gives away ( GT-View ) and offer for free SG-View which is a updated version for free on my site

Source code? Or at least, ASCII protocol description?
    The XW line uses Xanbus, which is Modbus over CAN, the lowest cost PC interface is over 100 bucks. Its a very robust but complex architecture that only some of the details are public knowledge. For example, 3rd party vendors are prohibited from even making setting changes or it will invalidate the warranty ... while this might seem draconian, its to protect user from software that could brick or blowup the hardware.

If Xantrex can't come up with an interface that protects itself from bad 3rd party software, perhaps that's yet another reason to be thankful I have Outback gear?
    Its a major undertaking and there is virtually no market as Xantrex already has XW-Config that does everything including logging, firmware updates ect that they give away for free.

Right, but there's still a market for monitoring in ways that I suspect the don't do. Like, what one sees if they here or here.

Those people at Fat Spaniel aren't doing it for the heck of it, and if I can climb into the backside of their market, I'll be more than happy to do so.