Tri-Metric 2020 and Temp Compensation

Kamala
Kamala Solar Expert Posts: 452 ✭✭
My PV system has been up and running since Aug 1st. This was the 4th weekend of use and it has surpassed my expectations. Yesterday I used the MSView software to adjust the charge setpoints of the Morningstar SunSaver MPPT-15 (with RTS) to the battery mfgrs specs. I set absorption to 14.4V (.1V lower than default) and float to 13.35V (.35V lower than default.) These adjustments are probably not critical but what the heck!

Here is the problem: The Tri-Metric manual says to set the charged voltage to .1V below the controller's setpoint. So, 14.3V. Now, it's 84°F when the controller goes to float. At that temperature the setpoint is lowered to 14.28V and the Tri-Metric doesn't know that the battery has been charged. I find nothing the Tri-Metric documentation that indicates that it is temperature compensated.

This problem is not system critical except in the sense that the accuracy of the monitor is degraded.

Am I tilting at windmills here? :roll:

Craig

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Tri-Metric 2020 and Temp Compensation

i doubt that it will matter as the trimetric is a bit of a guessing game anyway. you have to enter ah and the exact ah really isn't known and will change somewhat with time too. charge efficiency is another inexacting factor. i have the 2020 and i wasn't that impressed with it and i don't use mine at all.
  • Kamala
    Kamala Solar Expert Posts: 452 ✭✭

So do you use a battery monitor?
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

not at all. i watch the voltage.