Shurflo vs Conergy pump

gpigeon
gpigeon Registered Users Posts: 34 ✭✭✭
I am planning to pump water from a shallow well and into elevated tanks for stock use. Both the Shurflo 2088 and Conergy units will do the job but the latter are around 5 times more expensive. Are they 5 times better? I have been told that the shurflo units are not designed for continuous duty and also the brushes will only last for 1500 hrs. (about 6 months at 8 hrs per day). Has anyone had experience with these pumps in this type of duty? Any comments?
Thanks. Bill.

Comments

• System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Re: Shurflo vs Conergy pump

I have no experience with either of those models, but where I used to work, they had a reverse osmoses water purifying unit, that used a 24 volt DC Shurflo pump, high volume but low (40 PSI max) pressure and a 120VAC Shurfol pump, which was low speed (low RPM and low volume) but high pressure, adding about 70 PSI to the water entering the reverse osmoses cartridge. Both needed replacement a couple of times in about 5 years. Brushes and / or diaphragms. Also, a couple of times, I used parts from 2, to get one that worked. The 120 VAC unit ran about 5 % of the time, while the 12VDC unit probably only about 0.1% of the time. I wasn’t too impressed with their reliability.
    That’s all I can say, because that’s my only experience.
    Wayne
  • gpigeon

Wayne from NS (Canada)
    Thanks for your reply and info - the only one to date. I am on the East coast of Australia and am prepared to air freight these pumps from the USA but the our American friends seem reluctant to answer my emails. Maybe they don't want the business!!!!! I have contacted both Shurflo (US) and NAWS for some technical info but it is not forthcoming. I will however keep trying. :-(
    Thanks again.
    Bill W.
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭

If you want price go with Shurflo, if you want reliability go with Conergy.
  • System2
    wind-s2 wrote:
    If you want price go with Shurflo, if you want reliability go with Conergy.
    [/quote

Guess that says it all. :-)

Just Googled and found the following - very interesting:

http://www.sierrasolar.com/manufacturers.php?manufacturer_id=56

Using only high-quality metal parts, this is a commercial grade industrial process pump designed for continuous use and is not to be confused with cheaper “RV-style” pumps. We have a few nine-year-old units still pumping on their original brushes!

If efficiency and high reliability are what you are looking for in a pump, the Slowpump is well worth the price.

• machineman
    machineman Solar Expert Posts: 129 ✭✭✭

The 8000 series Shurflo diaphram pumps come with adjustable pressure demand switch, check valve, overheat protection and easy to rebuild for about $60 versus the $499 of the Conergy slow pump. If you plan to run it all day everyday forever and can afford the Conergy then thats the way to go. If it only turns on to top off a small tank occasionally then you should get the Shurflo.

I got the Shurflo for my system. For $60 I decided to give it a shot. If it doesn't last then I might step up to the Conergy.

Off Grid Cabin, 24V 440ah 6V GC battery bank, Xantrex MPPT60-150 CC, Magnum MS4024 inverter-charger, >1200w Solar bank

• gpigeon

Machineman,
    Thanks for your reply! Between you & Wayne from NS, you have convinced me to go with the Conergy unit. Unfortunately, I still cannot raise a reponse from NAWS re freight cost to Australia & also a suitable Linear Current Booster for the pump. I am reluctant to deal with, let alone authorise payment to an organisation that refuses to correspond. I have to admit that I am surprised at an American Company having such a slack attitude to doing business.
    Regards.
    Bill.
  • Windsun

We do NOT monitor private messages on this forum very often, and any questions concerning sales or the company and need a timely reply should not be posted here. This is a discussion forum, and is pretty much totally seperate from our sales operations. About all we do here is provide the free site for people to post.

If you need sales assistance, you should be contacting our sales office directly at our regular email address.

As far as shipping costs go, UPS rates for international shipping have gone up tremendously in the past couple of years, to the point where they can be a very large percentage of the item cost. And international mail is not an option to most countries as we cannot track it.
  • System2
    gpigeon wrote:
    our American friends seem reluctant to answer my emails. Maybe they don't want the business!!!!!
    Bill W.

See above, Posted by: wind-s2 - -Interesting. What email address were you using Bill?
    Windsun@wind-sun.com and also windsun@wind-sun.com?

• Windsun

He has some legitimate issues, though this forum is not the best place to post them.

If we are having problems with customer service, I need to know about it, but the best way is to email me direct.
  • gpigeon

Wind-s2,
    Thank you for finally updating the NAWS shipping rates. That is all I was after. We just seemed to go about it the long way round.
    You were not exaggerating when you stated above that UPS shipping rates had gone up tremendously! The rate per pump to Australia is US$291. It is a pity I don't need 5 of them! It would then be worth my while to fly over to the US and pick them up personally. I'd still have some change left for a couple of "Bud lights". Not that Bud is better than a "Fosters". Just different! :wink:
    Anyway, thanks to you and the other guys on the forum for your help. I am going ahead with the project using Conergy pumps from another source and if I have any problems with the pumps I may still have to come over there to NA for spare parts.
    Regards.
    Bill W.