New Refrigerator?

Hi All,
I have a refrigerator that uses 392 kwh per year. I am dreaming about a bottom freezer french door beauty that uses 465 kwh per year. I have a 1500 watt system with 12 panels and 8 Rolls batteries. I am floating or absorbing most days between noon and 2pm and my system works great with the use of a back-up generator only on a fully cloudy day, and then only for a small amount of time.
My main concern is that the new refrigerator will be consuming so much additional power that I will be 'in the red' and have to use my generator significantly more than I do now.
All comments welcome.

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: New Refrigerator?

from what you say it may necessitate a few days more with a genny backup, but all in all i think you'll be fine. that new refrig means an extra 200wh per day being drawn. if that bothers you then get another pv to make up for it.
  • RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭

That power is not too bad.

I could not convince my wife to go with the bottom drawer freezer. She is too spoiled with the side-by-side model.

The bottom drawer freezer has got to be much better for efficiency since it won't 'dump' a massive amount of cold air out when opened like the side-by-side does.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

The bottom drawer fridge/freezer we have, has no bottom in the drawer !

The saving grace is that there is not a lot of residual heat in air, compared to a pint of milk
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• RCinFLA
    RCinFLA Solar Expert Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭

There is one saving grace of side-by-side with front door ice dispenser. Not having to open the freezer to grab a couple of ice cubes is some consolation.