Popular Science Wind Power Article...

BB.
BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
Really, more like top 10 wind turbine pitches...

All pretty posted without data... Cheese cake shots.

See page three for:
Windspire is a vertical wind turbine, similar to the Quiet Revolution. This 30-foot tall, 4-foot wide turbine generates 2000 kilowatts per hour given 12-mph winds, and it can survive winds up to 105 mph.

2 Megawatt wind turbine that is 30' tall by 4' wide. Impressive.

-Bill
Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset

Comments

• Truth Squad
    Truth Squad Solar Expert Posts: 126 ✭✭
    Re: Popular Science Wind Power Article...

Usually, these companies hire public relations firms. These firms then contact magazines and provide this info. The "writer" at the magazine does nothing except cut-and-paste, files the story, and he's done. No real reporting, just spoon fed crap.
  • dwh
    dwh Solar Expert Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

The WePOWER video shows an install on Jay Leno's garage over in Burbank. I might have to cruise by there and see if I can get a look at it.
  • Truth Squad

I read a hilarious "review" of most of these "turbines" over on www.windenergytruth.com blog by someone calling himself/herself "The Wind Joker". I'd have cut and pasted it here but the "Wind Joker" uses some language that might not be permitted on this site. Still, it is absolutely hilarious.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Yea--it was pretty funny--But not safe for work (or family friendly)... Here is a direct link to the two comments. Click or not--your choice.

And, yes, this "article" read like a poorly transcribed set of talking points/ad copy. And that was why I posted the article--plus the opening was just "too precious":
    10 Wind Turbines That Push the Limits of Design

The American Wind Energy Association (AWEA) released their 20% Wind Report Card on July 8, following up on a study in which the Department of Energy proposed a goal where 20 percent of U.S. electricity comes from wind energy by 2030. The AWEA gave the overall U.S. push for wind power a “solid B”—high marks from an advocacy group that grades U.S. infrastructure. The highest letter in the report was an A- awarded for “Technology Development.” This is no big surprise—for years now, the government, alternative-energy researchers and entrepreneurs have been putting time and money into making better tech for cleaner, more efficient energy production. Here are 10 wind turbine designs that push the limits of the current design and may help the U.S. get back to being an A student by 2030.

Just a bunch of government and NGO's (non-governmental agencies) talking up "their solutions" so they can scam the yokels for more money.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • TnAndy
    TnAndy Solar Expert Posts: 249 ✭✭

Wow......after a short while reading that blog, I'm glad I went PV ( I do have a decent wind site, except for the long distance of power transmission )
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭

My off grid setup derives about 20% of the year's renewable energy from a SWWP H80 vintage of 2004. The company must have cared then. Every time I read something like the linked blog I touch wood that my unit has had no problems (knock knock).

At 5 years old it's time to tilt down and check the bearing and bushing. Any replacements will be done by self and local machinist...forget the frustration of dealing with SWWP.

Ralph
  • Truth Squad

Take a look at the gadgets in Popular Science magazines from the 1950s. Very few of them ever worked or came to be. They thought we'd all have flying cars by now. I think the Jetsons animation team probably just culled old Popular Science magazines for their ideas.