Best place to buy USE-2 and THWN wire

Just wondering where the best place is to buy USE-2 and THWN wire on the internet?

Thanks

Comments

• Pgovetom
    Pgovetom Solar Expert Posts: 30
    Re: Best place to buy USE-2 and THWN wire

I bought wire on EBAY at 1/4 retail.

I also bought combo nice THHN/THWN/THWN-2 Southwire at Home Depot at a reasonable price.
  • Green Building Solutions
    Green Building Solutions Registered Users Posts: 24

Thanks, I checked Lowes and they only had the THHN wire there. I'll check Home Depot next time I'm out that way.
  • Pgovetom
    Pgovetom Solar Expert Posts: 30

Just log on Ebay and in the search for USE-2 or USE-2 wire or if there is another type of wire that meets your needs.

Its a trick to search Ebay.

USE-2 is Ultraviolet stabilized wet 90 degree wire. Thats about as awful conditions normally found like around solar panel installations. Is that whet you are looking for?

Right now, EBAY has only a few. I wouldn't be surprised if big solar suppliers get rid of stock on Ebay. CHEAP.

Otherwise use Google to look at the big wire supplier websites to determine what you really need as USE-2 is most common from solar suppliers. Do you really need USE-2. VERY HOT in Sunlight?

Just so you can see how good Ebay is try simple searches like

AWG because that gets all wire and sometimes people type silly words in ebay and you want to find the least found as the price can be $2

Then try power AWG

Then try THHN AWG

Then try USE-2

Then try USE-2 power

Then try USE-2 solar cable

etc.... eventually you will find everything you need if you check over a week or two

Some of the suppliers on Ebay like EmpireWireSupply gave me quotes that wre half retail by asking them with questions. If the supplier has a good 98-100% positive rating then I have never had problems. You can ask them the manufaturer or other details if not advertised. Ebay people sometimes forget to post obvious things like manufacturer like when I bought Southwire advertised as THHN but also was prelubricated Southwire also rated THHN-, THWN, THWN-2 and MTW so ASK

EBAY is a great way to buy excess wire. Electricians and suppliers use it to get rid of excess and its brand new spools. I bought 500 feet of Southwire 8AWG THHN-2 for $50 plus shipping. Thats under half price and it was a brand new spool never touched.

http://www.homepower.com/view/?file=HP122_pg100_CodeCorner

http://www.pdic.com/NR/rdonlyres/439B6A90-DBEB-4119-B398-E1ED34FBB6D6/0/pdic01069.pdf

http://shop.ebay.com/items/?_nkw=thhn+cable&_sacat=0&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_odkw=use-2+cable&_osacat=0

Tom
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Most good wholesale electrical houses should have it,, or can get it. C.E.D., Platt in the states,, Westburne Supply in Canada. Should be able to sell to you "off the road" if you talk nicely,,,or you can find a retailer that you can buy from,, and then pick it up at the wholesale house.

Tony
  • lorelec
    lorelec Solar Expert Posts: 200 ✭✭
    Just wondering where the best place is to buy USE-2 and THWN wire on the internet?

Thanks

Craigslist can be a good source of wire and cable. Often someone buys more than they need, and will sell the excess off at a fraction of the cost.

Unless you can find an online supplier that has more than competetive prices AND offers free freight, it's probably a better deal to buy locally...especially for larger spools.

Marc