panels deep in concrete roof

System
System Posts: 2,511 admin
Good day, Im starting a solar project in a new home, slope roof, made of concrete, so I was thinking to surround the panels with red clay roof tiles, so the panels look more like a window or a dome on the roof than solar panels, Question. is it necesary to have air ventilation below the panels, can they be enclosed, any reazon why I should not think of this? Thanks

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: panels deep in concrete roof

Partly, it depends on where the install will be...

Solar PV panel's Vmp falls with increasing temperature... And if you are using a MPPT type controller (either charge or Grid Tied inverter)--The drop in voltage will cause a drop in output power.

California, in my area, estimates a the difference between a 6" under panel air gap and flush mount resultes in ~5% loss of capacity during summer.

That is not a huge loss--but most people are trying to keep the losses low for best output per $$$.

If you are in an area where you don't want to advertise you have solar panels--the security aspect of looking like windows is probably a good idea (when panels were more expensive and during the energy crisis of last year--California had quite a few problems with people stealing panels from roofs--using security hardware may help, special tools to remove, but if they want it, they will get it).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset