conduit use

mwilsonnm
mwilsonnm Solar Expert Posts: 26
Good morning,
I rewired my system and have used #8 tray cable to run from my combiner box to the conyroller, a distance of 8'. I inserted the tc in flexible conduit for the 4' distance from the combiner box to the entry into the cabin. Are there any safety issues with putting the cable in the conduit? Thanks, Mark

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: conduit use
    mwilsonnm wrote:
    flexible conduit

Is that plastic flex, or metal flex ?

Is the diameter correct for the gauge/number of wires?

Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• mwilsonnm

The product is called" non-metallic, weather tight conduit". It is 3/4" in diameter and is sometimes sold in 6' whips with 3- #8 wires in it. I found it at Home Depot. My tray cable has 2- #8 conductors encased in the sunlight/water resistant coating. My concern is if the tray cable will over-heat in the conduit. Thanks.
  • halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

the tray cable itself is fine in conduit as long as you are up to code on the conduit size and amperage on the wires etc
  • mwilsonnm

Thanks for all of the replies. I am well under the rated 70 amps at 90 degrees c. the wire can carry(30 amps). Is there a table I can refer to for the correct conduit size? Thanks again, Mark
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

The National Electrical Code, table C6 lists the maximum fill in Liquidtight Flexible Nonmetallic Conduit. That sounds like what you may be using. They list 2 #8's as the maximum fill in 3/4" conduit.

However, that is for single conductors and you are using tray cable with all it's extra material.

The NEC doesn't address using tray cable or romex in conduiut because electricians don't do it that way. Tray cable doesn't require conduit so no contractor would waste money doing it.

In your case I don't see any problem with your 30A circuit and #8's in conduit, even with all it's extra jacketing. It does not meet code though, and if the system had to be inspected some inspectors would turn it down.

If a contractor had to transition from type TC (traycable) to conduiut he would install a J Box and change from TC to single conductors or strip the jacketing from the TC from the J Box to through the conduit.
  • mwilsonnm

My thanks for all of the good advice. In order to be code compliant and as safe as possible I will strip the jacket from the tray cable from the combiner box to my j-box and use the conduit I have. The tc will enter the cabin and continue on to the controller and batts. Mark
  • halfcrazy
    halfcrazy Solar Expert Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

from my experience as an industrial electrician tray cable goes in conduit all the time. we run it in the cable tray then use conduit to get to specific devices.
    have never worried about the jacket as fill though have never really thought of it as it would take up some minimal space but in this instance i dont think i would worry about it