using load off charge controller

System
System Posts: 2,511 admin
system 2-123 watt panels a blue sky 2512ix charge controller 6-6volt 220 amp/hr batteries this system suppling a seasonly parted rv in northern ontario the total load to the 12 volt side would be 45 amps i assume they added all the fuse totals together the actual load will be my lights which will be changed to led from filament and my furnace fan and eletronic control for frig running on propane now do I run this off the load terminals of the charge controller or off the battery if off the battery would it be on the battery side of the 100amp fuse protecting the inverter and the shunt on the neg cable if I am feeding that 12 volt fuse panel using the wire from the original 12 volt battery. What is the rule of thumb for using the load on the charge controller Thanks

Comments

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: using load off charge controller

If,,, and that is a big if,, I understand your question correctly,,,

The loads should be wired in irrespective of the charge controller. The load controller section of the 2512ix is used primarily to power an additional load when the battery is full or near full.

So in short,, you would wire your 12vdc loads from the battery to the proper fuses. The charge controller would be wired in with it's own fuses. The fuses should also be wire on the Positive side of the circuit (generally)

Also you mention a 45amp load. What is that load,, or is it a 45 amp HOUR load as calculated as your daily total? A 45 Amp load on a small12vdc system is pretty big,, something like ~500 watts. You also have a fairly small panel array relative to the battery bank size.

Your array might put out ~10-12 amps. The general rule of thumb is that PV should be in the range of ~5-13% of amp hour capacity for flooded batteries,,, in your case 33-85 amps. A 12volt battery will lose as much as 1-3% of capacity a day,, in your case 6.6-19.8 ah/day. It will take your array as much as two hours of full sun just to keep the batteries above their self discharge rate. You might consider decreasing the size of your battery bank (to avoid damaging it through overdrawing/undercharging) or increase the size of your PV array.

Tony
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: using load off charge controller

a 2512 will only output up to 25a, period. if you get more pv to charge your bank with then get a controller that will handle it.