Electrical Engineer allowed to do Electrical work?

hi,m
Have been reading in some other posts and the Electrical Safety Act 2002 that Electrical Engineers are able to carry out household electrical works? IS this true or have I misread the info? Also if this is the case, ie that electrical work can be carried out by an engineer, how does one get a cert of compliance.

Thanks

Comments

• Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    Re: Electrical Engineer allowed to do Electrical work?

For what country?

No such act in the US or Canada.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

by a search of that act it seems to have queensland at the top of it.
    http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LEGISLTN/CURRENT/E/ElectricalSA02.pdf
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

WJ has spammed a bunch of forums asking the same question and getting detailed answers...

I did not ban yet--but this is probably a poster from India that posts mildly relevant content and then adds a sig/links to some outsourcing company...

I await to be proved wrong.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

In USA, a home owner can do their own work. Still has to pass city inspection though.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

The short answer is NO.

The system is setup as a very closed shop and doesn't seem to allow for any exemptions for professionally qualified engineers - effectively, the only way to obtain a licence is via an apprenticeship.

In my view, the system is well overdue for an overhaul.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

And--surprise--an answer to a question with no country listed (Australian Regulations) by a second Indian from Delhi, with a link to a Seattle Electric Contractor in sig.

Banned and Banned. Lock thread.

-Bill B. (as moderator)
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
This discussion has been closed.