Newby system for Hawaii

sodamo
sodamo Solar Expert Posts: 54 ✭✭✭
I am about to build my first solar, PV system. This will be more of a cabin size, but permanent installation as we are totally off-grid. My initial thinking was to start small and add and/or replace as the need arose. That philosophy changed somewhat as I’m trying to use components that will remain in the system but can be expanded if necessary.

Location is Ninole, Hawaii (Big Island). I don't have grid coordinates, but zip is 96773. Located windward side of island, situated on slope of Mauna Kea about 1100 ft above sea level, no trees or other blocks to sun. Temp range from 60 (night) to mid 80's (daytime). Usually a breeze. I think I've seen 5 hours as the sunlight planning figure.

System so far:

4 Sharp 123 watt, 12 volt PV panels.
These will be roof mounted facing generally east of South. Not sure of the elevation angle, but mounting rack does have some tilt capability. Metal roof is the upper plane of a gambril, pitch approx 2.5:12. I’m starting with 4 panels but assume I will most likely add 4 more as budget allows.

PV Array Disconnet (Non fused 60AMP A/C type)

ProStar 30 Charge Controller

12 12 volt Deep Cycle Marine (Exide 27) batteries at 105 Ah each

TriMetric 2020 meter with shunt

400amp Class T battery disconnect

Xantrex Statpower ProSine 3 Inverter/Charger
3000 watt with 4000 watt surge

Siemens 100 AMP main/distribution panel.
Not sure if this is appropriate as I read the Prosine allows a connection to a 30AMP breaker. ADVICE?
Want to set up 2 receptacle circuits and 2 light circuits. Lights will be the low wattage, spiral flourecent type. Appliances will be 1000 watt Microwave, mini fridge (325Kw/yr), small tv, sat tv receiver.

7550 watt Generac generator.
This generator will initially perform double duty. I will use this as power source for my construction tools. It will also be wired with a plug type disconnect to the Prosine input for backup charging duty.

Issues to be resolved: This is where I NEED HELP PLEASE.

Need to determine wire sizes:
PV Array to Disconnect - approx 35-40 ft
Disconnect to ProStar 30
ProStar 30 to TriMetric
TriMetric to Battery bank
Battery bank to Prosine Inverter

I intend a single 12 Volt DC circuit to water pump (Shurflu Smart sensor 5.7) for catchment system.
This could come directly off battery as the lead is fused, but prefer a disconnect or switch

I have all the major parts (new) and battery cables. Will be installing in August.

Any comments/questions/criticisms/HELP appreciated.

Next spring, I will be doing a second, much larger system for the main house, same location but 300 ft east.

Mahalo
David
10.04 KW panels
3- FM80 CC
4- FX3048T Inverters
FNDC, MATE3
OpticsRE
12 - 1350ah Rolls Surette 4v
24kw generator (Chinese, built in Az)
10kw MEP803A backup generator

Comments

• AFWnS
    AFWnS Solar Expert Posts: 13
    AFWnW

The PV disconnect should be DC rated.

You have a long run from the PV to Inverter to batteries, suggest you put the PVs, inverter and batteries as close together as possible. Perhaps an outdoor weathertight power cabinet
  • sodamo
    AFWnW

Thanks
    Actually, the only long run is from the PV panels to the Disconnect. I can't shorten this run due to location of the roof and placement of inverter. Of course, I could shave a few feet by trying to make the run a diagonally direct line versus neatly following the building down and over.

All other items will be in a protected outdoor location, either adjacent or above the battery bank, with as short of runs as possible.

The 2nd longest run will be from inverter to the inside distribution panel, probably 10-15 ft.

David
    10.04 KW panels
    3- FM80 CC
    4- FX3048T Inverters
    FNDC, MATE3
    OpticsRE
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Newby system for Hawaii

i have to be sure you are wiring for 12v as you didn't directly say, but i summized it. now are you asking us as to the wire sizes to be used? if so and at 12v this will be very heavy wire for sure. all wiring from the pvs to the controller would need to be calculated for the voltage drop and this can be done in individual segments and then added together for the total voltage drop. all distances would be needed for the calculations from the pvs to the controller reguardless of how many things are connected inbetween.
    it is important for you to know that this system isn't going to provide much percentage wise to your batteries. each pv gives 7.16amps and for 4 of them at 12v this is 28.64amps. now 12 of the 12v batteries at 105amp/hrs each yields a total capacity of 1260amp/hrs. doing the math shows this to be at 2.27%. minimumly we recommend 3%, but 5-10% is the standard charging range. the generator will be doing most of the charging given that your pv current is low in relation to the battery capacity.
    niel
  • sodamo
    Niel

Thank you.
    Hopefully, I can answer without making too much a fool of myself

Yes, a 12 volt system from panels to inverter. The ProStar 30 and Trimetric can be 12 or 24 I think, but the Prosine inverter is 12 volt model. Do I have options other than a pure 12 volt system?

My long run, approx 35 feet is from the panels to disconnect. I will mount other items in prominity for as short as runs as I can. Run from battery bank to inverter is 5 or 6 feet. Run from inverter to distribution panel 10-15 ft.

Perhaps I messed up, originally started with 6 batteries, then read warnings about mixing batteries, including age. Also read something about more batteries being better. As I intended to be expandable, I made the leap that the $300 to double bank bank was a prudent decision. Hope so :?:

I do appreciate the input. As you can see, I confuse myself :shock: I posted this in the Basic area because I need it KISS. :lol:

David
    10.04 KW panels
    3- FM80 CC
    4- FX3048T Inverters
    FNDC, MATE3
    OpticsRE
  • niel
    Re: Newby system for Hawaii

well i did reply yesterday, but i guess it didn't take so i did the calculations for your 35 feet and added another 5 feet because of the wire from the diconnect to the controller. #0 is good for the 4 pvs at the distances mentioned to keep it under the 3% voltage drop. if you wish to put in heavier wire for the expansion to a total of 8 pvs then #000 is good. with the stuff you've got you can only go with 12v on the pvs and 12v on the batteries.
    niel
  • sodamo

Niel

Not only did you reply, but I acknowleded it - POOF. Must the switchover.

Now for my "stupid" question - #000 is same as 3/0?
    Thanks again. Hopefully my "errors" are not fatal nor too expensive. This is a good learning experience for the next system which will be for the main house.
    David
    10.04 KW panels
    3- FM80 CC
    4- FX3048T Inverters
    FNDC, MATE3
    OpticsRE
  • Windsun
    Windsun Solar Expert Posts: 1,164 ✭✭

One quick note on the battery - Deep cycle and Marine are NOT the same thing. Deep cycle is a technical term or lable for a type of battery, "marine" is a marketing and advertising term that really means nothing.

If it does not specifically say deep cycle, and have the ratings in amp-hours, then it is probably not a true deep cycle.
  • niel

yes it's 3/0.
    niel
  • sodamo

WInn-S2
    Yes they say Deep Cycle, ST27DC180, 105Ah
    Thanks
    10.04 KW panels
    3- FM80 CC
    4- FX3048T Inverters
    FNDC, MATE3
    OpticsRE
  • sodamo

That thought I'd post an update.

I did build the system, with significant help from a neighbor, if fact he finished the solar panel hookup after I had to leave. Ended up locating the panels much closer, but still used #000 from the panels. Also added a 4 circuit 12vdc panel, although my Shurflo water pump is only user at this time. My wife is using the system everyday, but of course because I'm back in Atlanta I'm clueless as to what's happening other than my neighbor checked the system 2 days after he finished and reportedly was quite pleased. His own house is wired completely 24 vdc and 120vac and way too complicated for me.
    He did leave me some cleanup, but system is functioning.
    I will start a new thread as I must place some attention on the system for the main house.

Thanks for everyone's help.
    David
    10.04 KW panels
    3- FM80 CC
    4- FX3048T Inverters
    FNDC, MATE3
    OpticsRE
  • sodamo

OK, took me awhile, but today I "finally" replaced the Prostar 30 charge controller witht the BZProducts MPPT500. Seems to work just fine although this was not a good sunny day. What I did notice was when running the generator, I was still showing PV amps to the batteries, which was not the case with the Prostar the trimetric would read zero.

Looks like I may be able to tweak the system a bit more. In the MPPT500 manual it says: "SOLAR PANEL VOLTAGE: The advanced microprocessor control of the MPPT 500 allows a higher input voltage from the solar panels to charge the battery. In many installations higher boost current over a greater operating range may be achieved by wiring the solar panels in series. For example, wiring
    the photovoltaic panels for 24 volts for charging a 12 volt battery generally produces a higher Maximum
    Power Point Voltage. The higher MPPT voltage is then electronically converted to a higher battery charge
    current. However, good boost performance is also achieved with 12 volt photovoltaic panels charging a 12
    volt battery or 24 volt photovoltaic input charging a 24 volt battery.
    "
    So does this mean I can reconfigurte my 4 panels from 12 volt to either 24 or even 48 volts? Is there anything else I should be aware of before doing this? I'm asuuming my Xantrex Prosine inverter is 12 volt, but only concerned witht the battery bank, that the PV array will not effect it. Is this a valid assumption? Is there any downside to rewiring my PV array to higher voltage?

David
    10.04 KW panels
    3- FM80 CC
    4- FX3048T Inverters
    FNDC, MATE3
    OpticsRE
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

I just re-wired my system two days ago from 12 volt at the panels to 24 volts and installed a MPPT a week before. The battery banks is still 12 volts. As you said about the Prosine, I have a Prosine and it has no idea that anything has changed. However I have notice that re-wireing my panels to 24 volts made it snow and freeze for the last couple of days so I have yet to get any good data. Your system should start chargeing sooner in the mornings and stop charging a little later at the end of the day wired at 24 volts so why not try 48, would mean even longer charging time. One other thing is when the panels are wired for the same voltage as the battery bank the sun can heat the panels and bring down the voltage. This will not allow the MPPT to work. Can't MPPT unless you have higher voltage than what you are putting out to the batteries.

• sodamo
    jon wrote:
    ... However I have notice that re-wireing my panels to 24 volts made it snow and freeze for the last couple of days ...

WOW, sure hope that doesn't happen here. Thanks for the input, sounds like I should do it.
    David
    10.04 KW panels
    3- FM80 CC
    4- FX3048T Inverters
    FNDC, MATE3
    OpticsRE
  • sodamo

I did it :-D :-D
    Didn't snow, but it's been near contant rain, fog, and overcast eversince. Actually started raining as I was finishing up the rewire of the panels. I went with the 48 volt as I have 4 panels. I will probably get 2 more if I get the fund$ and will reconfigure to 3 sets of 24 volt. Currently, even in this weather, we are trickling in 5-8 amps - so I think that's an improvement.

Now, if I can get the batteries back up to speed...

David
    10.04 KW panels
    3- FM80 CC
    4- FX3048T Inverters
    FNDC, MATE3
    OpticsRE
  • System2

I have been keeping a log of the daily kwh and ah produced and the high watts and high voltage. I want to see how much this setup helps compaired to the week of testing at 12v in and 12v out. Now if the sun would just come out. This makes the 4th day in a row of no sun. I might have to change it back to 12 volts to get the sun to come out again. :-D
  • niel

isn't that just typical, no sun? :-o i think mattl had a similar experience when he first put his pvs in. patience as it's just like washing and waxing your car, you know it's gonna be dismal. :-D :-D
  • System2

I think this works the same way with a new wind gen. Put it up and you will have calm weather from that day on.. But that is an easy fix.. just take a few bolts out of the solar panel array and the wind will build up in a hurry.
  • sodamo

Well, that fact this system has worked as well as it has since August is somewhat amazing, given it was my first attempt. I've decided to add 2 more PV panels - Kyocera KC125. This will bump me from 492 watts (4x123 Sharp) another 250 watts to 742 watts. As noted in earlier post, with the MPPT500 controller I had rewired to 48 volts. Adding the 2 panels I figured I'd rewire to 3 strings at 24volt, but before I do, figured I'd ask if perhaps 2 strings at 36 volt each might be an option. No mention in the BZProducts MPPT500 literature, maybe I can email them.
    Anyone else have any thoughts/suggestions?
    Maybe this change will bring the return of the sun - since my 48 volt rewire it's been rain rain rain. :(

David
    10.04 KW panels
    3- FM80 CC
    4- FX3048T Inverters
    FNDC, MATE3
    OpticsRE
  • System2

2 KC 125      7.19 amps @ 16.9 volts Each Total 14.38 amps
    4 Shel 123    7.16 amps @ 17.2 volts Each Total 28.64 amps

Shell 123   14.32  amps First pair
    Shell 123   14.32  amps Second pair
    KC 123      14.38  amps Third pair
    Total 12 volt amps to the batteries 43.02

I don't know how much effect the voltage loss will be but no matter how you do it you will be putting two lower voltage panels in with 4 higher voltage panels. This is the same thing I am doing right now with a .03 volt drop from my highest panels to my lowest. I would think that they would pull the others down. If you hook the two panels to a second controller you will just loose that much in the second controller. So do like I did and hook them together 24 volts and let them run.

Or you could go 36 volts and loose .6 amps?

As you know hooking panels 24 volts makes it snow in Arkansas, Then 15 days of heavy clouds and finally pea sized hail followed by one good day of sun and then baseball sized hail. The big panels held up pretty good but my little 24 watt panel took a couple of hard hits and spiderwebbed the glass. Seems to be putting out ok even with all this beating. My battery / workshop building looks like it got hit by a truck, North outside wall of the house will have to have all the siding replaced new shingles on the roof and my truck could take a week in the shop. Should be a warning label or something on these things.. lol

Only good thing was we had power while everyone else went dark, Impressave how quick solar power can pay for it's self.

Welp, better get out there and clean up the mess.

Good luck,

• System2
    jon wrote:
    I think this works the same way with a new wind gen. Put it up and you will have calm weather from that day on.. But that is an easy fix.. just take a few bolts out of the solar panel array and the wind will build up in a hurry.
    LOL !!! That is SO funny, because it's exactly what happened to me when I put up the Hornet, 2 years ago. The wind we had been having had encouraged me to make the purchase, but as soon as I had it up - - you guessed it, we went 6 weeks with barely enough breeze to prove every few days, that the bearings weren't seazed!
    Wayne
  • System2

BZProducts MPPT500 is a 500 watt controller. I just wanted to pop back in and point this out. This controller is at its max with just the 4 Shell 123 watt panels. You can go from 12 volts to a max out of 100 volts but limited by the 500 watts. You will have to get a second controller for the two KC 125 panels. I guess you could put them on the Prostar 30 if you still have it wired for 12 volts.
  • sodamo

So much for the price of learning...

The original ProStar 30 controller was part of my original purchase. I would have sworn that I explained to the guy that I wanted the system expandable, probably 8 panels, without having to replace other components, so when he suggested the ProStar 30, I accepted it. As for the MPPT500, I didn't realize the 500watt PV limitation until talking with the solar guy whose building/installing my larger system. I had concentrated on the 45AMP, thinking it was an input limit, just as the ProStar 30 used 30 amp. Geez, wrong again.

Installing both controllers to control separate arrays would involve more wiring etc. So what to do. I did email Xantrex to see if perhaps there was a reasonable way to convert my 12volt ProSine 3.0 to 24 volt output - Nope, said I had to buy the 24. Also emailed Morningstar in hopes I could do 24 volt input from PV's and 12 volt output - nope 12 in/12 out, 24 in/24 out. Also emailed BZProducts, but no reply.

So today I bit the budget bullet and ordered an Outback MX60 and RTS. I researched other brands, but as I will have 2 MX60's in the main house system, I figured there was value in commonality. It should be here next week.

As for rewiring the PV's, I'm thinking 2 sets of 3 panels in series at 36volts.

QUESTION:
    My Sharp 123watt panels are 17.16 amp and my KC125TM panels are 17.2 amp.

OPTION 1: Would it be better to wire 2 Sharp and 1 Kyocera, thereby having 2 similar sets in parallel or

OPTION 2: Wire 3 Sharps in a set and 1 Sharp, 2 Kyocera in a set resulting in disimilar sets in parellel?

I understand I may suffer MPPT performance due to disimilar panels, might this be minimized by my OPTION 1, 2/1 configuration?

Any comments, suggestions, etc appreciated.

David
    10.04 KW panels
    3- FM80 CC
    4- FX3048T Inverters
    FNDC, MATE3
    OpticsRE
  • niel

i'm not sure exactly what it is you will have. how many of each pv type and how many mx60s? i'm assuming you want a 36v pv system and 12v for the battery system, but correct me if i'm wrong on that.
  • System2

I think you will loose 13 watts or .48 amps by going 36 Volts. No matter how you hook them up you will be pulled down to the weekest panel. If you go 24 volts you will only loose voltage. I said earler I am unsure how that will affect things. But when you hook them 36 volts you will add voltage and loose amps because the array will be pulled down to the panel that has the lowest amps.

Watts    Amps    Volts

2 KC                    250    7.4       33.8
    2 Shell                 246    7.16      34.4
    2 Shell                 246    7.16      34.4
    Totals                 743      21.72       33.8

1 KC 2 Shell          365      7.16      51
    1 KC 2 Shell            365      7.16      51
    Totals                   730        14.32     102
  • niel

ok if it's 2 kc125s and 4 sharp123s i get for use with 1 mx60 741.776w is for the 2 series arrangements of 2 sharps in series with one kc and paralleled to another string of the same. now for the paralleling with 2 strings of 2 sharps paralleled with 2 kcs in series gives 740.288w. not a big difference at all. now higher voltages afford lower resistance losses, but there is a lower efficiency going from that high of a voltage down to 12v in the mx60. this is too close of a call for me as to which would be best to use.

btw jon the kc125 is 17.4v @ 7.2amps and the other was a sharp123 and it's 17.2v @ 7.16amps. (lowest current is used)
    series mix becomes 51.8vx7.16amps and multiply x2 for 2 strings=370.888wx2=741.776w

A) the other becomes 2kcs in series and is 34.4vx7.2amps (lowest voltage is used)
    B) sharp series set 1 becomes 34.4vx7.16amps
    C) sharp series set 2 becomes 34.4vx7.16amps
    the series strings are paralleled now so 247.68+246.304w+246.304w=740.288w
  • sodamo

Niel
    Jon

Sorry if I wasn't clear. Yes, 6 panels - 4 Sharp, 2 Kyocera and 1 MX60. Everything else in the original system is unchanged at this point.

Would anyone care to guess what array configuration gives me the best MPPT boost?

I sure do appreciate everyone's efforts.

Jon are you still logging your system daily? Any interesting results to share?

David
    10.04 KW panels
    3- FM80 CC
    4- FX3048T Inverters
    FNDC, MATE3
    OpticsRE
  • niel

wow i had to look back and see what gage wire you were using and believe it or not i missed what you really said as #3 is an oddball. i must have had something else going on when i read it as i acknowledged that you got #3. usually when it's an oddball you go up one gage number as oddballs are rare and skips a gage. common would be like #6, #4, #2, #0, #00, #0000, etc. if you got hold of #3 that's fine, but i hope it wasn't difficult or more expensive than getting the next one up of #0000 or as you know it 4/0.
    as far as the better mppt operation i'd probably say the 3 smaller strings because it's more efficient than the wider voltage gap of the 2 larger strings. how much more efficient i don't know that answer, but i'm guessing it would surpass the small amount of voltage drop % gained. this is tight enough i'm open to hear from crewzer or boB on their opinion of these circumstances. a better question may also be the best way to go with any future expansions too.
  • System2

We have not had much sun in arkansas over the last 30 days so this was testing the MPPT in the Mx60 pretty well. I have recorded the high watts to be as much as 88 watts above the arrays rated output 3 times in this time frame.

The normal out put current seems to be 2 amps above the input current to the MX60. At times I have seen as much as 47 amps 12 volt output with 17 amps input 24 volts which does not last long but is impressave. This I have not been recording but have been observing.

I am getting an avg of 1.7 KWH per day with 580 watts of panels with very little to no sun. That is 3 hours of sun per day, I sure don't remember that much sun light and all my notes say heavy clouds or rain or snow etc.. . These numbers would be a little higher if I would run the battery bank a little lower because of float mode slows the charge.

I have found that the Xantrex C60 Charge controller will only asorb for 1 hour and drop to float if anyone cares.

I have 33 days of data but only keep the Cloud cover, Float Time, High Watts, High Volts, Temp, High Amps, Watt Hours, AmpHours.

I changed Vbatt setting to adjust the MX60 to read the same voltage as the inverter. This is .1 volt above what my two DMM's read the battery bank. I as well changed the Snooze Mode from <lowcutoff to <90% Voc. I did this because I got tired of it going back to sleep and re checking every time a cloud passed by and then again every time the sun came out from behind a cloud. I still don't understand this. Why would this thing cycle like this? Seems to me it was loosing more sun by going to sleep every time the sun got bright than it was ganing. Doing this does seem to help.

With all this data I am still thinking that the C60 did a better job of keeping the batteries charged. I will need more time and data to know for sure. It has been a bad month for solar power.

• niel

believe me for the amount of low light levels you've been getting it is doing better. only difference may be a slightly higher draw during its idle time. too bad you can't do a side by side comparrison to show you once and for all what is going on.
  • System2

To day is heavy cloud cover and I am only getting about 16 amps output but this is 2 amps above the input. It is only snoozing and restarting every 7 minutes as i have it set. I do believe that even if it is shuting down and taking a quick nap every 7 minutes with the 2 amp boost for the full day it should be out proforming the C60. This would be hard to test without a matching array for each controller because the C60 would have to be 12 volts to 12 volts while the MX60 is running 24 volts to 12 volts.