Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: EU2000 Honda generator troubleshooting

Default Re: EU2000 Honda generator troubleshooting

Gentlemen,

Thank-you as always. I will change the oil. As you point out, it's cheap insurance.
    My system works well and even better as the temperatures warm up. With the sun climbing in the sky, I am beginning to get a few solar charging amps now from my single panel. As for the batteries, -10* is not unusual in January. Fortunately, -75* is. I always leave them fully charged in the winter, before we close the place up.

JB

Another potential fuel problem with Honda OHV and some other small engines:

Besides clogging your carb old gasoline can also cause gummy deposits on the intake valve stem. In the old side valve engines the valve springs were strong enough that this was not a problem. But modern OHV engines don't need that much spring tension.

Old fuel can deposit gummy residue on the valve stems until the valve sticks open.

The cure is to remove the head so the valve can be removed and the stem cleaned.

Some small engine mechanics say that running the engines dry after use doesn't help because there is always a little gasoline trapped in the carb.

Counting my chainsaws, log splitter, shreader, brush cutter, and generators I've got at least 10 small gasoline engines. I use fuel stabilizer in all of them and try to keep the fuel fresh. So far I've had little trouble, even though some of them can go 6 months, or longer, between use.

There's another inherent problem with these particular generators. I discovered it on my EU1000i but I believe it may affect the 2000w units too since they use the same gas cap. The symptoms were identical to yours, thorsness.

To run these Hondas, there is an air valve on the gas cap that must be switched to the "run" position. It allows the gas tank to vent. There are two detents for that fuel cap valve, one fully closed ("off") and the other fully open ("run"). There is an extended space in between those two positions.

When the cap is put to "run", the actual air gap isn't very large. SOMETIMES the genny will start surging as it's starving for fuel. It won't do this right away, it must run for awhile. Of course, using the choke to cut the incoming air will balance out the mixture and stop the surging.

If it does it again, try unscrewing the fuel cap. When I did, there was a slight sound of air being sucked into the tank. And the problem went away. Until the next time. It took a few times before I found a permanent solution.

If you move the gas cap lever fully "on", then back it off a little until you can feel it coming up and out of the detent (maybe 1/2"?), the air gap is larger and it'll not be a problem ever again.

Phil
    Happily off-grid since 1977

Phil,

Thanks. I will try backing off the full open detent a 1/2" or so.
    It definitely takes awhile for the surging to begin and that's consistent with poor venting. Also, I have used HEET on occasion when the engine was surging and it 'seemed to work' at least for awhile. Well, when I removed the cap to pour in the HEET, I temporarily mitigated the poor venting didn't I?
    Thanks again for the excellent suggestion. I'll be back up to the cabin in 10 days and I'll report!

JB

I think Phil wins for the best suggestions,,, the others being too obvious.

I once had an engine set, (can't remember the application) where the failed vent sucked the tank so hard it collapsed! I was surprised at the time that it was still running.

I also heard of a nasty trick. Drop a ping pong ball in a fuel tank. As the volume in the tank gets lower, the ball will get sucked into the intake and stall. Stop the car, and it will release. It becomes one of those problems that even the best mechanic gets stuck on.

Tony
    Please note, being a moderator does not add any weight to my opinions 300 watts Siemens/BP panels,plus a Sun 90,, making ~400. ~30 amps into Rogue MPT-3024, 450 ah of Trojan T-105, Morningstar ts300 inverter, a Tri-Metric meter.a collection of antique generators, plus 2 Honda eu-1000i's (also a BS2512 IX controller) and assorted other stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by thorsness View Post
    Phil,

Thanks. I will try backing off the full open detent a 1/2" or so.
    It definitely takes awhile for the surging to begin and that's consistent with poor venting. Also, I have used HEET on occasion when the engine was surging and it 'seemed to work' at least for awhile. Well, when I removed the cap to pour in the HEET, I temporarily mitigated the poor venting didn't I?
    Thanks again for the excellent suggestion. I'll be back up to the cabin in 10 days and I'll report!

JB
    You are certainly welcome JB and I hope that solves your problem. Your HEET experience does reinforce the diagnosis. You will "feel" when the vent is lifting as you back the lever 1/2" toward "off".

Phil
    Last edited by PhilS; February 24th, 2009 at 15:27 PST.

Starting your gen. every two weeks or so would help out.I like to use a product called marvel mystery oil,it polishes surfaces in your motor and well ungunk your carb,it is a much better product than the name suggests(read about it)the changing the oil before storing is a good idea.i like synthetic oil.i guess im only so qualified about winter storage living in the desert.

I have an EU3000 and had similar problems. The fix was in the spark arrestor though. It had become too covered in carbon and couldn't properly exhaust. It was an easy fix, as I ordered an new one and cleaned the entire exhaust area with seafoam (which is an awesome solvent btw) and it ran like a champ.

When looking into the problem I was also told by my honda dealer that it may be the air intake line. In the spring and fall water can condense and be "trapped" in the line causing the motor to "surge" and if bad enough stall.

One thing that I do is use a full synthetic 30wt oil. I checked with three separate honda dealers and they said it *shouldn't* void the warranty. My local dealer even said that honda fills their motors with a synthetic oil. I would like to know the truth on this but no one seems to know conclusively.

I know for sure that every small engine I have is honda and they all seem bullet-proof.

Quote Originally Posted by Redford View Post
    I have an EU3000 and had similar problems. The fix was in the spark arrestor though. It had become too covered in carbon and couldn't properly exhaust. It was an easy fix, as I ordered an new one and cleaned the entire exhaust area with seafoam (which is an awesome solvent btw) and it ran like a champ.

When looking into the problem I was also told by my honda dealer that it may be the air intake line. In the spring and fall water can condense and be "trapped" in the line causing the motor to "surge" and if bad enough stall.

One thing that I do is use a full synthetic 30wt oil. I checked with three separate honda dealers and they said it *shouldn't* void the warranty. My local dealer even said that honda fills their motors with a synthetic oil. I would like to know the truth on this but no one seems to know conclusively.

I know for sure that every small engine I have is honda and they all seem bullet-proof.
    I'd hope Honda uses a different gas cap on the bigger engines. I too have had numerous generators over the years and Hondas have always been the best. I've also had clogged spark arrestors on chainsaws so I understand the symptoms. The little EU1000i didn't have enough hours on it to even think about clogged exhaust. This vent problem started right out of the box, although it takes an hour or so before the surging starts and there must be a fairly large load on the gen.

Since I use synthetic in everything I own, and have since 1978, I can say I've NEVER had any problems caused by it. I know that any warranty decline would have to prove that it was the synthetic oil as the cause, which won't happen. I could write a short book on the times I've had mechanical failures that DIDN'T snowball into worse problems only because of synthetic oil.

Phil

As a sidebar on this thread, I had five EU1000s' and three EU2000s'. They are very dependable machines.

I religiously changed the oil every 25 hours, cleaned the spark arrestor and plug every 100 hours which I believe prolonged their longevity. I ran these units 8-10 hours every day making sure they were set on eco throttle.

When I finally wore the first one out (burning oil), I took it in for a rebuild (rings ,piston, seals etc). It lasted two months and started bleeding oil again. So anyone considering a rebuild it wasn't economic in my experience.

As posted the only problem I had was the fuel deterioration in one I didn't use for 6 months.
    Off Grid 4x5500SW Plus Xantrex SinePlus Inverters/48V DC System/44x185W Sharp Panels/64xTrojan L16-REB 6v/4x"Ornamental" Desulfators/2xOutback FlexMax 80s'/Water Misers/Inverter Managed Air Extractor System/Output to 2x100Amp AC Service Panels/Two 2.5 Ton Central A/C Units/Generator CumminsOnan RS20000/RASTRA Construction