EU2000 Honda generator troubleshooting

thorsness
thorsness Solar Expert Posts: 52 ✭✭✭
I am, by and large, very pleased with my quiet and portable generator. I use it to charge my two, twelve volt batteries in the winter when the sun is insufficient, and for power tools year around. Some time ago it began to surge (about one cycle a second). I put some HEET in the tank and that helped for awhile. Then the surging resumed. So, I played with the choke and found it runs fine at half-choke. If I go back to no-choke, it surges again.
Any thoughts from you small engine gurus out there?
Thanks.

JB

Comments

• mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: EU2000 Honda generator troubleshooting

Sticking governor?

Most air cooled engines use a vane in the cooling air stream, and adjust that for the right RPM.

The EU in EcoThrottle, should monitor the load, and as the load increases, speed up the throttle, to supply enough power.

Is the air filter installed properly ? While checking that, de-gunk the carb with a shot of spray stuff, and add more cleaner to the fuel tank (in the proper ratios)

Has the choke shutter come loose, and shifted position ?

There are a whole lot of things to look at.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Give me some more specifics about how you have been using this genny.

The fact that it runs well half choked, tells me that the carb has a either a plugged main jet, or gum in the fuel. If the engine has sat for a long time without fresh fuel, I would suggest a complete carb clean.

You could try draining the tank, AND the carb bowl, and refill with fresh fuel and see if that cures it. I think the carb has a drain screw and built in drain hose making draining it simple.

Most people don't realize that gasoline goes stale very quickly. If a small engine sits for more than a month or two, the fuel should be drain, and the carb either run dry or a drained or gas stabilizer should be added (a poor second choice IMHO)

Tony
  • Moe
    Moe Solar Expert Posts: 60 ✭✭

This is a widely experienced problem with the EU1000i and EU2000i generators, which have very tiny fuel jets. It's caused by gas evaporation in the carburetor fuel bowl from leaving the generator stored with fuel in it between uses. The main jet and holes in the emulsion tube get gummed up. I did it with both of mine. Stabil in the fuel didn't prevent it and carb cleaner additive in the fuel did not fix the problem.

To clean them, remove the air cleaner cover, the air filter, then the air cleaner itself.

I can't remember if the air cleaner screws held the carburetor on the intake manifold or if their were a couple of more screws that did that, but the carburertor has to be loosened up to tilt the bottom of it out so you can remove the phillips screw on the bottom that holds the carb bowl on. Be VERY careful when removing the bowl to not bend the floats and change their setting. Unscrew the main jet and catch the emulsion tube when it drops out. If it doesn't, you can push it down in the carb throat and it will fall out.

Soak both in carb cleaner and use a very thin wire (like a bristle from a brass wire brush) to poke through the holes back and forth. You may find corrosion in the fuel bowl. If so, clean out any that's loose. Reassemble everything.

It's helpful to use the on-line Hayward Parts Catalog illustrated parts break down.

Under the Catalog menu, choose American Honda. In the resulting menu, choose Generator, not Generator-RV. Scroll down to the EU2000I selection who's range matches your serial number. Choose air cleaner and carburetor.

Hope this helps,
    --
    Moe
  • Mangas
    Mangas Solar Expert Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭

I have two of these EU 2000 generators and one had this problem.

As Moe pointed out it turned out to be a clogged carburator. Tech told me that the ethanol in the fuel sometimes degrades in the lines causing the problem. Had mine cleaned and runs well ever since.

Good to know how to do it yourself. They charged me $75!
    Ranch Off Grid System & Custom Home: 2 x pair stacked Schneider XW 5548+ Plus inverters (4), 2 x Schneider MPPT 80-600 Charge Controllers, 2 Xanbus AGS Generator Start and Air Extraction System Controllers, 64 Trojan L16 REB 6v 375 AH Flooded Cel Batteries w/Water Miser Caps, 44 x 185 Sharp Solar Panels, Cummins Onan RS20 KW Propane Water Cooled Genset, ICF Custom House Construction, all appliances, Central A/C, 2 x High Efficiency Variable Speed three ton Central A/C 220v compressors, 2 x Propane furnaces, 2 x Variable Speed Air Handlers, 2 x HD WiFi HVAC Zoned System Controllers
  • icarus

Let me reenforce my point about stale fuel.

I have spent more time "repairing" engines from the damage of old fuel. It doesn't take very long,, a matter of weeks, or months at most. I ALWAYS store my small engines dry if possible, or at the very least, run the carbs dry before storing.

One other tax on old fuel I have seen, is in horizontal piston engines, stale fuel can collect in the cylinder at the bottom when the engine is shut down. After the ignition is shut off and the engine winds down, it is continuing to pull fuel in the cylinder until it stops turning. This fuel is not burned, and then evaporates leaving a gummy varnish. This varnish/gum can clog the rings such that the engine is never right until it is torn down. ( This is very common in Onan engines)

As Moe has pointed out Stabil doesn't live up to it's reputation. The problems are exacerbated by the tiny holes in the jets of the honda series. (The smaller the engine, the worse the problems can be, and the faster they occur).

Tony
  • Brock
    Brock Solar Expert Posts: 639 ✭✭✭✭

When you say you store them "dry" what does that mean? I had assumed that is what I was doing when I would shut off the fuel to the motor and let it run out of fuel. I have been doing that to infrequently used motors, or starting them once a month. I don't let gas sit for more then six months even when treated with stabil (not sure that really helps, but it makes me feel better) I either run the tank out of gas or drain the tank and add new gas.
    3kw solar PV, 4 LiFePO4 100a, xw 6048, Honda eu2000i, iota DLS-54-13, Tesla 3, Leaf, Volt, 4 ton horizontal geothermal, grid tied - Green Bay, WI
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

that would be coined running it dry, but they do sputter until they stop and leave a trace of gas in there. i wouldn't think that trace to be detrimental, but in time would build up if done enough times.
    i had to get rid of some old gasoline some time back and i didn't want to put it into my car either and i asked my boss at the time who is a chemist too and he told me to just put it into a pan and let it evaporate. the remainder you can just toss into the garbage if contained, although i wasn't supposed to. there was much more left than i thought there would be and it was a thick jelly. i'd recommend a chemical cleaner such as mek to clean it out, but if it contacts any plastic parts, it could ruin them. in the future after you've manually cleaned it, when it starts knocking from shutting down the gasoline supply and before it stalls that you can spray a bit of ether into it to make sure all of the gasoline has burned off.
  • Brock
    icarus wrote: »
    I ALWAYS store my small engines dry if possible, or at the very least, run the carbs dry before storing.

Right, so the second part is what I do, run the carbs dry, or running it dry but what else is there to storing them dry? I am just wondering what else I should be doing? I haven't had an issue yet, but if there is something else I could do to avoid having an issue at the worst possible time, I would do that as well ;)
    3kw solar PV, 4 LiFePO4 100a, xw 6048, Honda eu2000i, iota DLS-54-13, Tesla 3, Leaf, Volt, 4 ton horizontal geothermal, grid tied - Green Bay, WI
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

I drain the gas tank (even use a paper towel to soak the bottom of the tank), and run dry. For a one cylinder engine, you can give a soft pull on the starting rope to get the valves closed (piston on a compression stroke).

Pulling the spark plug and squirting some oil in and replacing the spark plug... But that may be a bit excessive (and lots of smoke the next time you start the engine).

I also use Stabil--in five gallon metal gas cans. Dump the fuel (into my car and truck) once a year and refill (for my earthquake preparedness)... Have not had any problem yet.

I would guess with a small amount of fuel, the Stabil might not work as well (1/2 quart left a vented the fuel tank).

Be careful with spraying anything into the carb/fuel lines... There are so many synthetic materials (plastics, rubber, etc.)--that I would worry that might dissolve something or even etch the carb body (like methyl alcohol).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • niel

i would think a quick shot of ether into it should be ok as that is what is commonly used to start many cars with carburetors when they are being stubborn. that stuff would push through and evaporate the remaining gas and burn it in the final throws of the engine. wiki link to dimethyl ether used in starting fluid. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimethyl_ether wiki for starting fluid. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starting_fluid an ether of tetrahydrofuran i would not recommend as i know this eats plastics very well and will destroy plastic better than mek. these chemicals are more flammible than gasoline too. mek is a carcinogen and i worked with that for nearly a decade. no cancer yet.
    i do agree on emptying the tank of gas as that is what i have done with my generac too. i do not store gasoline as it does not store and it is a hazard not to mention stinky. if i have need of the generator then i'll go to the gas station to get it. if they can't sell me gas then i'll take it from my car.
  • Moe

The carburetor bowl on the EU2000i has a drain screw (and hose) the owner's manual recommends you use for storage (as well as removing gas from the tank).

Running dry doesn't work completely on all engines. On the Keihen carbs Harley uses (used?) the main jet is lower than the slow speed jet. When you run it dry, the main jet is still submerged in gas. Worse yet, there's a passage in the bottom of the bowl with a check valve ball that feeds the accelerator pump. Some bowls (i.e. those on Sportsters) have a drain screw in this passage, but the same carbs on Big Twin models don't.

Running dry seems to work on the 4HP Johnson two-stroke on our sailboat. I pull the hose off the motor at the dock when we come in. One of the reasons I bought a two-stroke snowblower this year was to use the outboard gas we didn't use.

I believe today's gasoline doesn't last as long as it used to. And I believe the corrosion I found in the Honda carb bowls was due to ethanol capturing water. We keep 10 gallons for the generators, especially over the winter, but I have to call the brother-in-law annually to come get it free since our truck is a diesel. That's why if I was using a Honda for backup power at a homestead, I'd convert it to propane.

Stay warm,
    --
    Moe
  • Lefty Wright
    Lefty Wright Solar Expert Posts: 111 ✭✭

I've got several small engines of several different makes and have had good luck using a fuel stabilizer.

On a small engine forum I frequent they like a product called SeaFoam. I have been using Stabil.

The fuel stabilizer itself has a one year shelf life and only works when added to fresh gasoline.
  • icarus

Storage issues depend greatly on your own experience and needs. If you lay up your stuff at the cottage for 11 months it is different than parking the lawnmower for a month or so.

In addition to draining the tanks and the carbs, (or leaving the tanks full, with little air) pulling the plugs and giving them a dose of fogging oil, leaving them at the top of the compression stroke to relieve the tension on the valve springs. (Probably more important in larger engines,, I leave my Lister that way) Storing under tarps is a double edge sword. The can keep water out, but they can trap moisture in.

I always like to store engines with fresh oil. My feeling is that with fresh oil, the acids that have formed in the oil are drained so that they can't attack metal parts. Others disagree and suggest changing the oil after long term storage.

On the note of what to do with spoiled gas. First, avoid the temptation to try to save it,,! even at $5/gal it is not worth it. On the other hand, dumping it, or letting it evaporate is a bad idea as well. Most places have places to safely dump and re-refine old gas and oil. Pour it into used oil or bleach bottles, or even gas cans, and take it to your local car mechanic and if you have to pay a few bucks to dump it safely so be it. Evaporating is hard on the local air!

Tony
  • Brock

For gas storage we have 3 5 gallons tanks and I never let a tank sit more than 6 months (every spring and fall) before I dump it in the van and refill the 5 gallon jug usually it just gets used up in the snow blower or lawn mower. I do stabil the fresh 5 gallon jugs even though I never let them sit for longer than 6 months, again probably overkill, but...
  • niel

lefty wright,
    i used seafoam on a car i used to have. the fuel pump was wearing down and started to make noise one day due to a foreign particle getting stuck in it and my mechanic said to put seafoam into it and it may buy the time needed to avoid a large repair in replacing that pump. it did help as it got rid of the foreign particle that was causing it to be noisy, but my not being a mechanic i can't swear by it for how am i to know for sure without dismantling it? i was told the gasoline doesn't always lubricate the pump and if run empty or nearly so takes away the lubricating action the gas gave it. in other words, that car may have ran out of gas a few times too many in the past (bought used).

icarus,
    i concur doing that with that gasoline was not a good thing to do, but there wasn't anyplace for me to take it to. it is rare americans let gasoline go bad as we are huge consumers and it usually doesn't get old so no recovery stations are here and i live nowhere around a refinery. i had about 4 gallons of it for my generator in a gas can and i had forgotten to use it up. tell a mechanic around here i have bad gas and i get strange looks and even stranger looks when asking what to do with it beyond their suggestions of throwing it into my car's tank. i had to do something and putting it down the drain or burning it was definitely out of the question. it was just too far gone imho to mix with good gas in my car. of that 4 gallons it left about 1/2 gallon of jelly. and if i'm so bad for it, my government should be considered far worse as that's how napalm is made, isn't it?
  • thorsness

Mo,

Thanks very much. I will do as you reccomend.

JB
  • thorsness

Moe,

I drained the bowl with the very convenient screw this weekend. Loosen the straight screw head a bit and fuel drains down the tube and out the bottom of a port located at the bottom edge of the cowling. Slick.
    Basic as it sounds, I pulled and cleaned the plug. It had gotten so badly carboned up (probably from running at half-choke) that the engine refused to run. Did that and she ran like a top.
    When the heretofore infallible Honda crapped out, and in fear of freezing my batteries since it is still very much winter here, I dug out (literally) my old clunker Coleman 3500 watt generator, poured some gas in it and she started and ran like a champ, charging up my batteries. As a 'reward' I changed the oil, which sorely needed to be done.
    So there it is, my life as small engine maintenance guy. Glad to say, I have them both running so my batteries are in no danger of freezing between visits to the cabin.

JB
  • icarus

Thorsness,

If the plug was fouled and you have been running the engine 1/2 choked, consider changing the oil. Such a rich mixture (choked) can lead to fuel dilution of the oil. For the sake of a litre of oil or so it might be cheap insurance.

Tony

PS Fully charge batteries won't freeze until~-75f. Even 1/2 charged they will withstand -10f.

http://www.batteryfaq.org/
  • Moe

JB, good to hear both your generators are working well for you now! I would take Tony's advice about changing oil after running half-choked.
  • thorsness

Gentlemen,

Thank-you as always. I will change the oil. As you point out, it's cheap insurance.
    My system works well and even better as the temperatures warm up. With the sun climbing in the sky, I am beginning to get a few solar charging amps now from my single panel. As for the batteries, -10* is not unusual in January. Fortunately, -75* is. I always leave them fully charged in the winter, before we close the place up.

JB
  • Lefty Wright
    Lefty Wright Solar Expert Posts: 111 ✭✭

Another potential fuel problem with Honda OHV and some other small engines:

Besides clogging your carb old gasoline can also cause gummy deposits on the intake valve stem. In the old side valve engines the valve springs were strong enough that this was not a problem. But modern OHV engines don't need that much spring tension.

Old fuel can deposit gummy residue on the valve stems until the valve sticks open.

The cure is to remove the head so the valve can be removed and the stem cleaned.

Some small engine mechanics say that running the engines dry after use doesn't help because there is always a little gasoline trapped in the carb.

Counting my chainsaws, log splitter, shreader, brush cutter, and generators I've got at least 10 small gasoline engines. I use fuel stabilizer in all of them and try to keep the fuel fresh. So far I've had little trouble, even though some of them can go 6 months, or longer, between use.
  • PhilS
    PhilS Solar Expert Posts: 370 ✭✭✭

There's another inherent problem with these particular generators. I discovered it on my EU1000i but I believe it may affect the 2000w units too since they use the same gas cap. The symptoms were identical to yours, thorsness.

To run these Hondas, there is an air valve on the gas cap that must be switched to the "run" position. It allows the gas tank to vent. There are two detents for that fuel cap valve, one fully closed ("off") and the other fully open ("run"). There is an extended space in between those two positions.

When the cap is put to "run", the actual air gap isn't very large. SOMETIMES the genny will start surging as it's starving for fuel. It won't do this right away, it must run for awhile. Of course, using the choke to cut the incoming air will balance out the mixture and stop the surging.

If it does it again, try unscrewing the fuel cap. When I did, there was a slight sound of air being sucked into the tank. And the problem went away. Until the next time. It took a few times before I found a permanent solution.

If you move the gas cap lever fully "on", then back it off a little until you can feel it coming up and out of the detent (maybe 1/2"?), the air gap is larger and it'll not be a problem ever again.

Phil
  • thorsness

Phil,

Thanks. I will try backing off the full open detent a 1/2" or so.
    It definitely takes awhile for the surging to begin and that's consistent with poor venting. Also, I have used HEET on occasion when the engine was surging and it 'seemed to work' at least for awhile. Well, when I removed the cap to pour in the HEET, I temporarily mitigated the poor venting didn't I?
    Thanks again for the excellent suggestion. I'll be back up to the cabin in 10 days and I'll report!

JB
  • icarus

I think Phil wins for the best suggestions,,, the others being too obvious.:D

I once had an engine set, (can't remember the application) where the failed vent sucked the tank so hard it collapsed! I was surprised at the time that it was still running.

I also heard of a nasty trick. Drop a ping pong ball in a fuel tank. As the volume in the tank gets lower, the ball will get sucked into the intake and stall. Stop the car, and it will release. It becomes one of those problems that even the best mechanic gets stuck on.

Tony
  • PhilS
    thorsness wrote: »
    Phil,

Thanks. I will try backing off the full open detent a 1/2" or so.
    It definitely takes awhile for the surging to begin and that's consistent with poor venting. Also, I have used HEET on occasion when the engine was surging and it 'seemed to work' at least for awhile. Well, when I removed the cap to pour in the HEET, I temporarily mitigated the poor venting didn't I?
    Thanks again for the excellent suggestion. I'll be back up to the cabin in 10 days and I'll report!

JB

You are certainly welcome JB and I hope that solves your problem. Your HEET experience does reinforce the diagnosis. You will "feel" when the vent is lifting as you back the lever 1/2" toward "off".

Phil
  • ron17571
    ron17571 Registered Users Posts: 19 ✭✭

Starting your gen. every two weeks or so would help out.I like to use a product called marvel mystery oil,it polishes surfaces in your motor and well ungunk your carb,it is a much better product than the name suggests(read about it)the changing the oil before storing is a good idea.i like synthetic oil.i guess im only so qualified about winter storage living in the desert.
  • Redford
    Redford Solar Expert Posts: 38 ✭✭

I have an EU3000 and had similar problems. The fix was in the spark arrestor though. It had become too covered in carbon and couldn't properly exhaust. It was an easy fix, as I ordered an new one and cleaned the entire exhaust area with seafoam (which is an awesome solvent btw) and it ran like a champ.

When looking into the problem I was also told by my honda dealer that it may be the air intake line. In the spring and fall water can condense and be "trapped" in the line causing the motor to "surge" and if bad enough stall.

One thing that I do is use a full synthetic 30wt oil. I checked with three separate honda dealers and they said it *shouldn't* void the warranty. My local dealer even said that honda fills their motors with a synthetic oil. I would like to know the truth on this but no one seems to know conclusively.

I know for sure that every small engine I have is honda and they all seem bullet-proof.
  • PhilS
    Redford wrote: »
    I have an EU3000 and had similar problems. The fix was in the spark arrestor though. It had become too covered in carbon and couldn't properly exhaust. It was an easy fix, as I ordered an new one and cleaned the entire exhaust area with seafoam (which is an awesome solvent btw) and it ran like a champ.

When looking into the problem I was also told by my honda dealer that it may be the air intake line. In the spring and fall water can condense and be "trapped" in the line causing the motor to "surge" and if bad enough stall.

One thing that I do is use a full synthetic 30wt oil. I checked with three separate honda dealers and they said it *shouldn't* void the warranty. My local dealer even said that honda fills their motors with a synthetic oil. I would like to know the truth on this but no one seems to know conclusively.

I know for sure that every small engine I have is honda and they all seem bullet-proof.

I'd hope Honda uses a different gas cap on the bigger engines. I too have had numerous generators over the years and Hondas have always been the best. I've also had clogged spark arrestors on chainsaws so I understand the symptoms. The little EU1000i didn't have enough hours on it to even think about clogged exhaust. This vent problem started right out of the box, although it takes an hour or so before the surging starts and there must be a fairly large load on the gen.

Since I use synthetic in everything I own, and have since 1978, I can say I've NEVER had any problems caused by it. I know that any warranty decline would have to prove that it was the synthetic oil as the cause, which won't happen. I could write a short book on the times I've had mechanical failures that DIDN'T snowball into worse problems only because of synthetic oil.

Phil
  • Mangas
    Mangas Solar Expert Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭

As a sidebar on this thread, I had five EU1000s' and three EU2000s'. They are very dependable machines.

I religiously changed the oil every 25 hours, cleaned the spark arrestor and plug every 100 hours which I believe prolonged their longevity. I ran these units 8-10 hours every day making sure they were set on eco throttle.

When I finally wore the first one out (burning oil), I took it in for a rebuild (rings ,piston, seals etc). It lasted two months and started bleeding oil again. So anyone considering a rebuild it wasn't economic in my experience.

As posted the only problem I had was the fuel deterioration in one I didn't use for 6 months.
    Ranch Off Grid System & Custom Home: 2 x pair stacked Schneider XW 5548+ Plus inverters (4), 2 x Schneider MPPT 80-600 Charge Controllers, 2 Xanbus AGS Generator Start and Air Extraction System Controllers, 64 Trojan L16 REB 6v 375 AH Flooded Cel Batteries w/Water Miser Caps, 44 x 185 Sharp Solar Panels, Cummins Onan RS20 KW Propane Water Cooled Genset, ICF Custom House Construction, all appliances, Central A/C, 2 x High Efficiency Variable Speed three ton Central A/C 220v compressors, 2 x Propane furnaces, 2 x Variable Speed Air Handlers, 2 x HD WiFi HVAC Zoned System Controllers
  • icarus

Mangas,

I agree,, if you have to pay labor to rebuild small engines it generally doesn't pay to rebuild them. On the other hand, if you can source the parts reasonably you can keep them running pretty cheap. The real issue comes when the piston/cylinder get too warn, and you need a new bore/piston, then the parts will quickly exceed the cost of a new unit.

My question to you is, what application did/do you have to run these as much as you do? How many hours total did you get out of a typical unit?

Tony