Replace a SW5548 with a XW6048

Hopefully this is a good place for my post.

My Current system:

SW5548
Apollo T80
24 KC130 (18 fixed, 6 on a tracker http://blog.robpatton.com/?m=200808 )

Problem #1: I am currently running this system in GTI mode during testing, but have been told that the SW5548 is no longer UL/etc listed to "sell" and that I will be unable to get Power company approval to officially Grid Tie. yea, thats the biggest issue

Problem #2: While I have all the RightHandEnginering sofware for the 5548, data collection and monitoring still SUCKS.

Problem #3: The 5548 is only 120v, and without the waste of a step up transformer, I'm going to have to stack a 2nd 5548 to get 240v to run my well. 5548s are harder to get, and I'm still stuck with Problem #1, and #2

Problem #4: I've got a ton of $ tied up in my SW series of stuff. DCCB, DC250 (two of those, each with 2 -250s installed) the GFI breaker, The serial interface, etc etc etc . Its gonna be a big hit to the wallet to bail on.

I've written some of my own software to give me a webserver option for the Apollo T80, but thats just a small piece of the data I'd like to see.
http://t80.robpatton.com/robdashboard.html

My current option is to purchase a XW6048

Am I crazy?

The 6048 would fix my 240v need.
The install footprint much cleaner, and thus gives me wife points.
Newer tech, optional 10 yr warranty
Meet all pow-co requirements for Grid Tie operation
Give me the potential for some real data collection/etc. I assume. Has anyone done any data gathering stuff. I like the idea of the Xanbus, but I hate the idea of buying another 2000$ worth of stuff to get some #s when I could have a serial line with a nice old skool datastream. And no matter what, I'm not installing that goofy Yahoo widget mess.

Am I crazy, or any crazier than anyone else with a solar addiction?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Replace a SW5548 with a XW6048

You probably will have to shell out some big bucks to upgrade your system... The old product is out of date, parts are not available any more, and for grid tie (and probably some other UL/NRTL) requirements have changed.

Unfortunately, whether it is electronic inverters or computers, things change so much in 10-15 years, that it is impossible to maintain production (parts are no longer made, regulations and laws make old designs obsolete, new components can add many new functions for the same, or lower costs).

This is one of the "dark sides" of solar power--when you build your own power station, you are stuck paying for the repairs and upgrades. Kind of makes that "unlimited" utility power at $0.10-$0.30 per kWhr look pretty reasonable...

The XW series is probably some of the best product out there now--for what it does. Will it be in 10 years? Don't know.

In the end, if you are looking for cost effective generation of power, you will probably save lots of money going with straight Grid-Tied solar and giving up on the off-grid solar emergency power. And instead, using a small generator for backup power (if you outages are rare and short).

If, however, you have frequent and long outages, having a full solar off-grid capable system (with generator backup) is pretty nice.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Brock
    Brock Solar Expert Posts: 639 ✭✭✭✭

I sold my two SW 2512's for the same price I bought the XW6048 for. I think if you sell the 5548 now you might get OK money for it, but as people realize that is "last year’s" model the price will start to drop.

I did it mainly for the size / surge / 240vac reason. Idling this one uses 1/2 the power.

As Bill said maybe now is the time to think of going straight grid tie? Keep the SW as backup; maybe keep 2-4 panels on its batters to keep them topped off? Then in a pinch you could use the SW to feed the grid side of your grid tied inverter to turn it on during an outage. It would increase your overall inverter output capacity and make adding panels easier with less overall losses.

But then again you could just move in to the XW line.

On the third hand do you really need to change inverters or change your setup? (thats what my wife would say)
    3kw solar PV, 4 LiFePO4 100a, xw 6048, Honda eu2000i, iota DLS-54-13, Tesla 3, Leaf, Volt, 4 ton horizontal geothermal, grid tied - Green Bay, WI
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

this is the place for your post. yes, the xw6048 would replace the sw5548 quite well. too bad you have to though, but as bb indicated things are unpredictable some times even though the inverter you have is a fine inverter. maybe sg can say something to you for the data stuff on the xw and you can even check hiw website out at: http://www.solar-guppy.com/forum/index.php?sid=0bb01dadbedeca91ffcce23c1bac3be5
    as to being crazy, well, it's not us that's crazy, but it's the rest of the world.:p
    btw, next time you buy batteries, don't buy the gels unless they are priced really cheap. consider agms next time.
  • islandskies
    islandskies Registered Users Posts: 11
    I've written some of my own software to give me a webserver option for the Apollo T80, but thats just a small piece of the data I'd like to see.
    http://t80.robpatton.com/robdashboard.html

My current option is to purchase a XW6048

Am I crazy?

The 6048 would fix my 240v need.
    The install footprint much cleaner, and thus gives me wife points.
    Newer tech, optional 10 yr warranty
    Meet all pow-co requirements for Grid Tie operation
    Give me the potential for some real data collection/etc. I assume. Has anyone done any data gathering stuff. I like the idea of the Xanbus, but I hate the idea of buying another 2000$ worth of stuff to get some #s when I could have a serial line with a nice old skool datastream. And no matter what, I'm not installing that goofy Yahoo widget mess.

Am I crazy, or any crazier than anyone else with a solar addiction?
    Hi, I think I'm as crazy as you with the solar addiction.. beyond any help I'm afraid.. I have an XW6048 (also w/XW60MPPT) in operation for a few months so far, and it works great. As previous posters said, its a smooth running powerful inverter, and handles quite a bit of surge with hardly blinking. I'm sure you will be happy with it.. I wondered about serial data collection on the XW6048 too, but couldnt find anything, I ended up getting a T80, mainly for its increased power limits (over a single XW60) but also Trimetric features etc, I also have the wired remote and shunt, and was hoping it to be more data collection-friendly, but I think the T80 is a awesome CC.

But, I really like your data collection software for the T80.. its exactly what I've wanted in datalogging. I've previously looked online for anything that does what your software does with no luck.. Now that I've seen yours, it is very impressive! Is there anyway I could obtain a copy of your software to use with my T80? I would gladly pay a fee for it. Would love to put the data online as well. Here is a pic of it, the AC side conduit/wiring still needs to be completed. TIA
  • RobPattonDotCom
    RobPattonDotCom Registered Users Posts: 11
    niel wrote: »
    this is the place for your post. yes, the xw6048 would replace the sw5548 quite well. too bad you have to though, but as bb indicated things are unpredictable some times even though the inverter you have is a fine inverter. maybe sg can say something to you for the data stuff on the xw and you can even check hiw website out at: http://www.solar-guppy.com/forum/index.php?sid=0bb01dadbedeca91ffcce23c1bac3be5
    as to being crazy, well, it's not us that's crazy, but it's the rest of the world.:p
    btw, next time you buy batteries, don't buy the gels unless they are priced really cheap. consider agms next time.

The 4 gels were a gift, so I took what I could get. I just got an account @ MK Battery for work, so as soon as I get the solar wall up and "finished" batteries are my next project. Sadly, they are just as expensive, and much heavier.

I guess I'll wait and see if "sg" replies, worst case this weekend I'll cross post it over there.
  • RobPattonDotCom
    RobPattonDotCom Registered Users Posts: 11
    But, I really like your data collection software for the T80.. its exactly what I've wanted in datalogging. I've previously looked online for anything that does what your software does with no luck.. Now that I've seen yours, it is very impressive! Is there anyway I could obtain a copy of your software to use with my T80? I would gladly pay a fee for it. Would love to put the data online as well. Here is a pic of it, the AC side conduit/wiring still needs to be completed. TIA

I'm currently under NDA with Apollo, but I'll see what flexibility I have.

I also have a history module created from the collected data to graph min/hour/day/week/month

Ping me off-list and I'll show ya some examples of what I've done.

Rob
  • islandskies
    islandskies Registered Users Posts: 11
    Ping me off-list and I'll show ya some examples of what I've done.

sent Private Message PM