how to combine a ctek charger, inverter charger and solar panels

Hello learned guys,
I have got a dillema. I want to start a solar home system(small), as a back up in an area with erratic power supply.
I have got the following:
1. a ctek multi charger capable of charging up to 500ah battery bank
2. an inverter charger with a built in charger of 10amps
3. a solar array of 128watts
4. a charge controller of 20 amps
5. 3 batteries of 200ah each

Is it possible to make anything out of all these. I am thinking of parallel connections but I would like some advise/critique first.
Thanks for your interest.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: how to combine a ctek charger, inverter charger and solar panels

Showby,

Could you keep this subject in one thread? It is kind of confusing as you have asked variations of the same question in something like 3 different threads now...

Short answer is you can make almost anything work... Longer answer is that you have to define what you want/need/expect from your system...

Basically, working backwards, how much power per day do you need (Watt*Hours), how much battery back up do you need (typically, the batteries are 6x the daily energy usage). How do you want to power the battery/system when there is no AC power (solar PV, generator, etc.)? How long do you wish to remain on backup--3 days of battery, forever on solar during the summer, forever on solar in the winter too, minimum solar to keep the battery charged and use a generator for multi-hour/day backup?

And what kind of loads are you planning on powering? A mod sine wave inverter is usually OK for simple loads--but can cause problems with some electronics and many motor based appliances (refrigerators are a big concern with Mod-Sine wave inverters--also TVs and Radios may have unacceptable interference with mod sine inverters).

And do you want this system to be automatic or require manual intervention (auto start on generator, external auto/manual transfer switch, etc.).

What kind of batteries do you want; flooded cell (cheaper, pretty rugged, require quite a bit of maintenance) or AGM (not as rugged, can be easily overcharged and damaged, much less maintenance, much more expensive).

Are you going to monitor your battery bank's condition and use a Battery Monitor, or use a Hydrometer (flooded cell only).

Remember, you are dealing with Hydrogen Gas (explosion risks), sulfuric acid (terrible chemical burns), and very high currents (risk of fire)... Anytime you start placing a lot of high powered chemical ladened items together--you have to be very careful to remain safe.

-Bill

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Thanks,
    that helps. I will use flooded batteries. I am exploring the option of having a little bit of every option i.e solar, battery charger and inverter charger. So that the bank receives some charging at any particular time.
    My main worry though is could there be a negative repercussion should i link the inverter charger, battery charger and solar panel together. I would like to try if it is possible. are there other things to note or watch out for apart from the risk of explosion.
    Sorry to bother you, i'm just willing to learn.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

You realize a 3kW 12 volt inverter will use almost 400 amps.... That is one heck of a load (larger than many arc welders by far).

The problem is, without knowing how your particular inverter is wired, and how you plan to use it--it is almost impossible for anyone to confirm over the Internet what you are doing is safe or not...

And, there is still the question of how much power you really need, for how long, and stuff like that. Have no idea if what you want to do is even close to practical.

If this 3kW inverter was designed for use in a car or boat--then probably you can ground the negative battery post and be OK... If, however, this inverter was designed as a UPS--then grounding the negative battery post for use with solar panels and a charge controller is a bit more questionable.

In any case, a 128 watts of solar panels will run a 3kW inverter at full power for about 5-10 minutes per day.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset