TriStar MPPT 60 mounting location?

Options
This install is in a Motorhome. Because of the location of the batteries, there are few mounting locations. How much heat does the TriStar MPPT 60 put off? The best location is on the side wall of the foot-well of the passenger's area inside the motorhome. There is little to no danger of the passenger touching the controller. In this location the controller is not going to be effected by rain, wind or what ever. Easy access for managing the controller. The other only location is in the front nose of the motorhome to the right side of the gen. While this area is open at the bottom and in the grill, I have never seen any moisture at the mounting location. Batteries are withing 2-3 feet of both of the locations. Any other location is 10+ feet away. There is not room in with the batteries.

Thanks, rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: TriStar MPPT 60 mounting location?

If you look at the manual, page 61, it appears efficiency runs from 92 to 97.5+%.

So, look at your array Vmp and battery voltage, and array wattage. Say you have Vmp~98 volts and a 500 Watt array on a 12 volt battery, then, roughly:

500 Watt array * 0.92 efficiency = 460 Watts to battery, and ~40 Watts waste heat from controller.

Raising battery bank voltage and/or dropping array voltage, generally improves efficiency.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I've been running one of these controllers for a few years now, and even at it's full 60 amp output feeding the batteries, it rarely gets the chill off it. Hot? Never. It has a relatively massive heat sink that really does the job. Awesome design. Silent even at full power, while competitors have their cooling fans screaming.
    The only thing you should fear about visitors / passengers etc touching, would be the controls if you have the meter panel installed. Without the meter installed, the concern would be them pushing the EQ button.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I will shortly be installing my 2nd MS-TS-MPPT-60 It produces (1's is on a 3KW array, 48V battery bank, running fine) about 25% of the heat my Midnight Classic produces. I would allow for some air circulation somehow, you don't want clothes or something bunched up on it, or for it to be sealed in a box and heating up.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• rocmoc
    rocmoc Registered Users Posts: 4
    Options

Thanks everyone. Again just the info I was looking for. Looked again last night and just nowhere else to mount because of the battery location. Only if someone lays on the floor at the foot of the passenger seat will anyone every know the controller is there. Lots of room so easy to provide air movement but 99% of the time it is cool in that location. Thanks again!

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    rocmoc wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. Again just the info I was looking for. Looked again last night and just nowhere else to mount because of the battery location. Only if someone lays on the floor at the foot of the passenger seat will anyone every know the controller is there. Lots of room so easy to provide air movement but 99% of the time it is cool in that location. Thanks again!

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Sounds awesome! Only negative thing I can think of would be wet boots and splashing water on the floor.