Got me a new battery today

Captain chunky
Captain chunky Registered Users Posts: 18
I think I found the battery's I'll be using exclusively. the Deka Unigy 12V 145AH , . I'll be getting more as I scale up. I only have 2 100w panels as of now.

Comments

• AuricTech
    AuricTech Solar Expert Posts: 140 ✭✭
    Re: Got me a new battery today

I find it interesting that they list this battery's capacity based on a C/8 rating, rather than the more-common C/20 rating. Looking at this table, my guesstimate for this battery's C/20 rating would be in the ballpark of 160Ah.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Capacity ratings are given on a basis of intended use. If the C/8 rating is the only one given then these batteries are probably not suitable/not normally used for RE.
  • Mountain Don
    Mountain Don Solar Expert Posts: 494 ✭✭✭

Deka info sheet on that battery ... the giveaway on this page is the listed life: 10 years at float. It's intended use is to be on float and only used as a power backup...

...and from the manufacturer... listed as a telecom battery

If it has not actually been purchased yet, don't. If it has been purchased, can it be returned?
    Northern NM, 624 watts PV, The Kid CC, GC-2 batteries @ 24 VDC, Outback VFX3524M
  • Captain chunky

Yes I can return, but a lot of guys are using them with good feedback. I only paid 100$, I can trade out inside the year warranty he said. Any suggestions, I'm a Newb by the way. I'm just happy to have a pump running 12hrs a day , Christmas lights for 3hrs a day and a 5w led in the DC load plug in on the charge controller. Battery at sundown was 12.42 80% not bad, and everything shuts off via timer till sun up. , Q: how much LED's will the DC load on A 30A CC run? Thanks for the feedback.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭

Ask your dealer for a model that is NOT designed for "Float Service", ie it is designed for partial discharge and recharge. Float ones are meant for emergency discharge and sometimes to 90% DoD and then recharged quickly to sit until the next emergency

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • rplarry
    rplarry Solar Expert Posts: 203 ✭✭

capt Chunky
    I know of 4 different users of those batteries down here in Baja, using them off grid and they have been going over 5 years now, so they may not be the best battery but probably adequate for what you are doing.
    Larry
  • Captain chunky

@ Larry , funny you say that, i was talking about them with my battery guy and while I was there someone from Baja purchased 30 of them 😯 thanks man.